Lidl - Deals, yea/meh/nay and observations

I bought one under ripe because I won’t use it until Thurs. Nice and heavy though, good size.

1 Like

I stopped by Lidl today. No uncooked duck offered - frozen or refrigerated. But there were still plenty of the roasted half ducks!

My Lidl has been open for about 18 months. Recent changes:

*4 self service check out areas where 2 cashier lines had been.
*a dedicated “clearance” area for non-perishables in the front where a cashier line had been
*removal of recycling bins
*lamb is back! Looks like it’s absence was a change in producer. New lamb is halal - I had never noticed the designation on the lamb they used to carry.
*big reset in frozen foods resulting in what looks to be a much larger selection of pizza
*new good sized refrigerated area devoted to heat and serve side dishes. Might be just for Christmas , time will tell.

Alot of your observations are already a part of the new layout at the store that opened here in NJ. Except self check out, right now every line is manned.

The fresh papaya was outstanding. I made breakfast drinks with it.

The duck eggrolls came out great too. What a timesaver buying duck legs at Lidl.

They sell tomato paste in a small resealable jar. Very handy.

Took my son over to the store since he shopped Lidl France a few yrs back and he was impressed with the new jersey store.

2 Likes

I am obsessed over these papayas. It will be a sad day when I can’t get them anymore.

I get into these fruit things during the winter where I feel cold and dry. Last winter, navel oranges. Winter before, pomellos. YUM. I LOVE pomellos.

1 Like

Do they have lamb ribs? If so, any clue what they cost for a rack? Thanks

They had lamb 4 ways. Grind approx 6.99/lb, ribs 11.99/lb I think. There were also leg and chops (the thinner cut istr).

For my area the grind was priced really good. The other cuts seemed on par with Costco if my memory can be trusted.

Picked up quite a bit of lamb today along with whole pineapples, pomms, papaya, frozen fruit, B sprouts, eggs, peppers, bananas and a variety of cheeses and dried sausage. Finally used the grand opening coupon, $10 off order they handed out weeks ago and left with another $5. Off at checkout. I deleted the Lidl phone app; too many emails. But I’m there at least 1x a week.

I purchased a pork tenderloin yesterday at Lidl. It was on markdown with a sell date of today. I cooked it tonight and it had a vague liverish flavor.

There had been no odor, the texture was good, no blood spots in the meat. My cooking method was a brief browning in butter then a very short braise to finish cooking.

Any ideas why this can happen?

Lidl has a very nice offer for 1/26 & 1/27 to help those affected by the government shut down.
$10 off a $40 purchase, excludes alcohol, etc. (Cut & paste from promo email,) :

In order to help furloughed federal employees

in our local communities, Lidl will be offering $10 off an eligible purchase of $40 or more on January 26 and 27 for those employees impacted by the shutdown. All you’ll need is your grocery list— show your valid federal government employee ID at checkout to get this discount. If you have personally been affected by this, please stop by as we know times are tough.

1 Like

There was some recent discussion about waffle irons on WFD I believe. Lidl has one this week for approx $15-17 if anyone wants to pick up an inexpensive model.

Confit duck leg (which I had not seen before) were on closeout at $3.49 each. Sell by date of 02/20/2019. These are from the same company that the roasted duck halves were from last month.

Not food but a really good deal on art supplies, especially if you do mixed media. Water soluble wax crayons, acrylic spray set, acrylic paint sets (one metallic, the other primary), transfer medium and a modeling paste available. All are the Crea-box line by Marabu! Prices $4.99 - $5.99 which is extremely good for Marabu products! The spray set of 4 is priced the same as the usual lowest price for a single bottle!!!

Their walnut bread loaf in the small bakery section is delicious toasted. Sadly, I am home to attend a wake. Ran to Lidl for supplies, including this very tasty loaf.

Rooster

I’m sorry for your loss. I’m glad weather and TSA cooperated so you could return home.

It’s my return that looks concerning. Thxs, though.

I seldom shop at Aldi & Lidl on the same day. Today I did and began at Aldi’s and picked up a few things. I brought my Aldi’s reciept with me when I stopped by Lidl and compared prices - same items, same day. All items were house brand or the only type each place carried in that category. I was a little surprised by the result:

Item----------------------------------- Aldi’s --------------------------------- Lidl
Large can baked beans ------------- .89--------------------------------- 1.25
Rice Krispies knockoff -------------- 1.19 ------------------------------- 1.69
Dry roast p-nuts, salted ------------ 1.59-------------------------------- 1.89
Carrots, bag (1 lb?) -------------------- .79 --------------------------------- .99
Lemon, 2 lb bag ---------------------- 2.99 ------------------------------- 3.39
Confectionary Sugar ---------------- 1.29 ------------------------------- 1.19 *

*There were two brands, the other was the same price as Aldi. No difference between them that I could determine.

Granted, this was a small shopping list but it averaged out to be a savings of about .27/item. That could add up on a large buying trip!

I hadn’t been comparing the two stores that closely for a while. When Lidl first came to town I checked frequently and they were usually within a few cents of each other. Perhaps now that Lidl is in their 2nd year they feel comfortable raising their prices? Or maybe Aldi has lowered them?

Curious if others start seeing this. My Lidl opened Nov. 2017. If you note price comparisons please mention how long Lidl has been in your area!

Last observation - Lidl had slowed down their plans to open stores. They may have begun a more aggressive expansion again. They have just begun breaking ground on a second Raleigh location.

We receive weekly circulars in the mail for both stores. Also their apps are easy to scroll through on price comparisons.
Like ShopRite vs Stop&Shop, they compete weekly in the ten cent range, occasionally a $1.00.

I can keep my shopping footprint under 5 miles in either direction of my driveway and still come out ahead in weekly food bill because of the total shopping choices in my area.

Those circulars and apps are handy.

I have limited messaging on my cell so avoid apps since I often need all the allowance for family medical issues.

Do the apps let you compare prices on all items? Or is it just sale info and extra coupons?

I believe the only item on special in my list above was the baked beans at Aldis. Regular price was 1.19.

Sale prices do end up being similar items at similar prices at many grocery chains. Often they are getting the same special deal from their wholesale accounts. Other times the specials tend to be tied to seasonal events.

I find the non-sale items often have a big price spread.

You can pull up the app or website info on any device. The weekly circulars and the highlighted specials with prices are avail to open and read and compare. Open several browser tabs to compare quickly. I do this on my iphone but any device will do. Same goes for major markets if you dont recive paper cir’s in the mail.

Works easily.

I do that on my desk top. It’s a great way to check weekly specials prior to hitting the stores!

I have noticed Lidl has many deals which you must present the deal on your cell phone. They haven’t let me have the deal price without being able to do this.

Same. I d/l their app before the store nearby officially opened and use the “list” feature to check specials I want and the code pg to scan at checkout. Plus the $5. Off the keep giving out.