12 Likes

Laham B’ajeen

Yaprak

5 Likes

Spiced ground meat with hummus

5 Likes

This is very much like I make. Again no photos saved

Meat and egg fritter, Ejjeh

This is my go to car food when on the road. Remember my mom making it before road trips. Easy to eat in the car. It’s become a tradition

4 Likes

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Fresh/frozen or dried favas?

Fresh/frozen ie green

TJ’s often carries them in spring…

1 Like

Yes, but I haven’t seen them yet at TJ this year.

Bought a bag a few weeks ago at the lebanese store.

1 Like

You hit the nail on the head, @naf. I was disappointed with the Indian selection, and it made me doubt the rest.

Off-topic, but I’ll explain why the Indian Muslim recipes disappointed - my familiarity is through neighbors, close friends, even a family cook a couple of generations back (whose recipes are still cooked):

India has the second largest Muslim population, and amazing regional variety of Muslim food. Yet her selection is superficial, restaurant-leaning, and some of it is just wrong. Paneer and lassi - nope, wrong community. No “saalans” - ubiquitous gravy dishes, meat or vegetable. No kababs - that’s a real travesty. For breads, she has chapati, paratha, and naan - the first two are rarely eaten at home by non-Hindus, and for the last, she skips more commonly-eaten-at-home varieties and covers the standard restaurant one. And dessert - again with the non-representative carrot halwa being 1 of 2 included, and rice kheer instead of the more representative vermicelli the other. Props for 5 kinds of biryani (but missing my favorite major one).

I did, however, enjoy the pictures, and it was interesting to see common threads and overlapping dishes through the diaspora.

2 Likes

The Syrian cookbook that Paprika boy mentioned arrived today. Very impressed with it so far. Everything looks approachable & the photography is nice. Do need to get a few pantry items before I start cooking. The sumac I have is pretty old & needs replacing. So I’ll get it together soon & start posting.

(Moroccan) FAVA BEAN SALAD / SHLADA DEL FUL
From Feast by Anissa Helou (this is the one recipe I copied over)

My first time working with frozen green fava/broad beans, which I had not realized needed to be blanched and peeled first.

The recipe was easy other than that - fry onions till golden, add the peeled beans and water, cook till done, then add paprika, cilantro, and preserved lemon.

This was easy and fresh-tasting. Another time I might add the onions at the end, and swap preserved lemon for fresh zest.

5 Likes

I’ve never seen fava beans in the markets near where I live - neither fresh nor frozen. I’m sure I could get them if I made the trek into Seattle. My question is, do you think frozen large Lima beans would be an acceptable substitute? They are known as butter beans in the southern U.S. TIA

Lima’s are about as close as you get. I was buying bags of frozen favas from a middle eastern market. Don’t remember peeling them either they were already shelled or the outer membrane wasn’t too tough after cooking. It’s been awhile but may have some in the freezer

Yes, my understanding is that they are under the family of broad beans, with variations, of course. (Swipe for pics of the frozen and peeled beans)

1 Like

Broad beans have such a short season here that, for most of the year, there’s only frozen to work with. I find hot water from a kettle is fine to defrost and loosen the outer skins, which then mean you can just squeeze out the inner bean. It’s one of those repetitive kitchen prep jobs I quite enjoy doing listening to the radio.

Yum!! Although when i bought favas frozen before I don’t remember having to peel them… that’s kind of annoying but also not as annoying as having to deal with them fresh (such an epic PITA yet also worth it)

pretty sure the frozen favas I’ve bought have all been peeled.
Found this image of a brand I’ve purchased before.

Thanks- good to know! This one I bought was the only choice at the store I was at.

The flavor is close enough to the smaller version I can get at indian markets so I’ll probably just use those next time (no intermediate peeling step required there either).

Interesting that broad beans in the US are sold peeled and not a standard ingredient. Round my parts frozen is available year round, fresh appears at the market in spring and summer. The skin/membrane is perfectly edible which is easily removed after a quick blanching.

Wiki has a list of Levant dishes some of which I recognise: