Let's Talk Lasagna With Fresh Pasta...

Wow, thanks so much for testing this!! I’m so glad to be a part of this group!! Yum!

1 Like

A few months ago, I made Smitten Kitchen’s “thousand layer lasagna” (https://smittenkitchen.com/2007/01/baklasagne/) which called for super thin but uncooked pasta sheets. I made them with my KA pasta maker attachment, actually following the recipe as directed. It worked really well! (I will note that she posted pasta dough and sauce recipes, and points to another source for the cheese and overall technique, so it was a bit frustrating to flip back and forth. YMMV.

2 Likes

Here’s my lasagna with the fresh sheets, baked without boiling.

a

7 Likes

I make fresh pasta a lot. I’ve never seen it put into a lasagna uncooked. Cooking firms it up and stops gumminess (as biondanonima has stated).

You cook the fresh sheets for 20-30 seconds, just long enough for them to keep their shape. To keep them from sticking, rinse them with cold water in a strainer or colander. They are now ready to use. The only time I rinse pasta is if it is going to be handled before baking, never if it is going to be immediately sauced and served.

4 Likes

The fresh lasagna sheets I use are a commercial fresh lasagna from a place called Queen’s Pasta in Toronto. They’re thinner than lasagna noodles that are boiled, about half as thick, and they don’t get gummy. They’re thinner than any homemade pasta I’ve had, so probably just a different type of fresh pasta. It’s more yellow than regular lasagna noodles one boils, so it probably is a type of thin egg pasta.

The package instructions say to layer the ingredients, cover, bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, then bake uncovered for 10 minutes. Turned out well, and better than the oven ready dried lasagna noodles, which I don’t like.
This is the product I buy
https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=432107855240568&_rdr

Thanks for mentioning this business. When I finally get downtown again, I’ll have to visit.

I’d be interested to see the difference between it and the egg pasta that I make.

It’s probably available at Fiesta Farms , Highland Farms, Grande Cheese and other Italian markets. I buy the refrigerated Queen’s Pasta at Remark Market in London, ON, which also has a location in Windsor.

I’ve never been to their restaurant. I mostly buy their agnolotti and ravioli, and occasionally their refrigerated sauces.

https://www.queenspasta.com/

1 Like

That’s interesting @ScottinPollock. I think it may be about textural preference.

I like my lasagna noodles softer than I like other pasta — and so par-cooking them first makes sense.

I’ve done it without, and that yields a firmer noodle texture (cooked, but not “lasagna-soft”).

So just a difference in expectation / preference on the specific dish, for me anyway.

@jammy you can see the texture and thickness of the Queen’s Pasta lasagna sheet here:

1 Like

Thanks for the photo. It does look like it bakes up differently than what I’m used to.

Mind sending me a slice? :wink:

1 Like