Let's Talk Houston Steaks

Brilliant effort.

(But, there are no two ways about that rarely seen cut.)

As for your conversation starter, when we were commuting to Houston all those years ago for well over a few years, our per diem could hardly be stretched to check out Brenners, so it was the Hofbrau when we thought we deserved a break.

1 Like

Lambsy, MY HEB has prime beef on sale at least once a month, usually strips at around 7.99 and not so often rib eyes although I got one at 8.99 not long ago. I’ll keep my ear to the ground and post as needed.

I usually get the prime strips as they are 6-7 bucks a pound less than rib eyes when on sale plus I really like the flavor of strips.

I grill rare-medium rare with a touch of butter, a drop or two of Worchester, and a dash of lemon. I’ll wrap up one or two in a fresh flour tortilla from MY HEB and have been known to put some red sauce on from the good carnicerias and low key Mexican restaurants surrounding us.

I’m not sure of the differences in meat quality but I think the heat of restaurant broilers, 1800 degrees at Ruth’s Chris, is a difference maker.

Not to change the trajectory here, but have you been to Dona Lupe on Bingle? I keep seeing photos from there on Insta and it looks like a place to check out.

Is this what you’re talking about?

My teeny-weeny, late, lamented HEB never had any prime meats. Hopefully the new Bellaire HEB will.

Saw a piece about Ronnie Killen putting in a 2.5" thick grill in both his steak house and burger place in Pearland. Holds the heat so the grill doesn’t cool off when you slap the mean on it.

Scroll down to 3rd paragraph. I wonder if Lodge makes a skillet with a 2.5" inch thick bottom???

@Lambowner and @jcostiones - by ‘grill’ you mean backyard? Charcoal or gas?

I just don’t like servers to demand that I cut into the center of my steak as soon as they drop it! Seems to be a trend. You know how restaurants all seem to get the same memo and start implementing new things simultaneously? Like when they all suddenly started saying as they run by the table, “is everything just perfect??” Lately I’ve noticed they all have started greeting diners with a robust “WELCOME IN!!” It always sounds like the German Willkommen to me.

Anyway, oustide and gas, because I’m lazy.

We haven’t dined in but it’s our go to chips and salsa place over Las Locas Fajitas for watching Texans and World Series Houston Astros games, sounds good doesn’t it.

1 Like

We also got queso flameado once and while decent it just didn’t hold up for leftovers, and mind you the Wifeacita is a genius at re-heating things. The queso certainly doesn’t hold up to our favorites of El Tiempo, Merida, and El Jardin.

1 Like

Just back from Pappa’s! Fogao Brazilian Churraspqueria on Tuesday. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I haven’t been to that restaurant, but to Fogo de Chao out west of Houston. At such places though, if you’ve been to one, the salad bar is so tempting, which is fine with me because I prefer it to the meat that follows. Also the little cheese rolls typically served are so yummy.

1 Like

Wise words! Thanks!

Pappas did ask me to cut my meat, but I declined. Meat was cooked to my liking (med rare) as was husband’s (med well :roll_eyes:)

Decided to do B&B for brunch!

Live music!
Outside,.
It’s raining. I’m inside.

1 Like

That patio has a great view of downtown on nice days. Glad you enjoyed it! These pics look like both up and downstairs, did you eat up? I prefer the light up there.

We ate upstairs. Very nice setting and loved the live music, and they were nice enough to offer me a half order of the “carpet baggers on the half shell”.

Only down side was we went because they offered pancakes, and they advertised “Vermont maple syrup” but served “pancake syrup”.

1 Like

Oooh, not good (syrup)! The crowd I go there with, mainly for weekday lunches, always gets those carpetbaggers. And the bacon appetizer. And the tower of chocolate cake. And lots of other things!

1 Like

We are still stuffed.

Y’all, i’ve been coerced into following a couple of pages by a certain person named Jack Tyler in Houston. I have no idea who he is although he says that his painting is on the wall at The Palm restaurant in Houston. Of course there are many allegedly prominent people on that wall mural, few of which I recognize. In fact, I found that whole mural offputting, on the day that I asked to go there for my birthday dinner. Does anybody have any idea just who he is in the Houston food scene?

Sounds familiar. Either from CH or the old houston.eats newsgroup.

Something about steaks I assume?

I asked him. He said he’s just an old guy posting stuff but he’s obviously well known in some circle. I expected he was a restauranteur or chef or something but apparently not.

I was thinking that I remembered that name from the old houston.eats newsgroup so I googled Jack Tyler and houston.eats and lo and behold he has a blog called “Houston Eats”!

Coincidence or proof my memory is still sharp? I’ll let you decide. :wink:

2 Likes

I wonder why he didn’t just say that. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like