Let's Talk Houston Steaks

Although thanks for that, I haven’t seen it before. I’d like to think he’s more sane today than in 2005. That was beyond the pale.

1 Like

Google El Tiempo Houston.

Good looking blue crabs!

I used to crab a lot in my teens and twenties using chicken necks but now any trip to the Galveston Bay area involves eating and or fishing for speckled trout, redfish, or flounder.

Benno’s on the seawall in Galveston does a great Cajun fried crab plus blackened oysters which is their best dish. Think oysters winter, crabs summer.

http://'www.bennosofgalveston.com/

Crabs were prevalent in seafood joints 20-30 years ago but the city has gone crawfish crazy. When I talk to people about crabs I get the it’s too much “work” and while I love crawfish fresh crab is superior in flavor.

Most of the big blues from the Gulf Coast are shipped to Maryland where they fetch premium prices but you can get some big ones if you drive an hour plus from Houston to the Galveston Bay area.

Went for a steak tonight after this convo, got the dreaded new question, “can you just cut into that steak and let us know it’s perfect?” No I can’t cut into the middle of this sizzling steak to see if it’s medium rare. Surely it’s right? That’s your job? If not I’ll see you in 20 mins as I work towards the center.

My better half (half the time) prefers the pork chop at these places.

3 Likes

That’s about the cutest thing I’ve heard in a long time.

Nice selfie too.

P.S. Where were you?

Does anyone know why Japanese style steakhouses, and steakhouses serving Japanese style beef, seem to be proliferating in Houston?

Just curious, especially given Texans pride of place and love of beef. You’d think US beef would dominate.

Is Wagyu brisket on the horizon?

1 Like

D’OH!!
Original Brenner’s

You mean like Benihana?? I hadn’t noticed this.

Well there’s the usual Teppan & Sushi joints (Osaka, Benihooters, Toro, HB, Koby, Kobe, Sakekawa, Samurai, Sakura, Roka Akor). There do seem to be a lot of them. Maybe in Texas they need to have beef as an alternative to bait on the menu…

Everything labeled as “Kobe”, which it prolly isn’t.

Then you’ve got B & B Butchers, who are the Japan licensed certified Kobe outlet.

But I guess what really surprises me is how many of the regular steak houses (Steak 48, Vic & Anthony’s, District 7, Pappas, Del Friscos) all seem to have Wagyu on the menu.

Is there somebody in Texas who is raising and pushing Wagyu hybreds?

Is it like a trendy thing to order?

Oh, I see what ya mean. YES there is a Wagyu movement here in Texas. Even the steak I ordered at Churrasco’s in the original post was a Texas Wagyu filet cut from a “special of the day” menu. And I wouldn’t order it again. I expected tender marbled meat and it was quite dry. Wagyu is on every steakhouse menu. I haven’t been to Kobe, but there is a location nearby that I drive by all the time.

Locally though, the big supplier of “just Texas steak” to restaurants as of late is 44 Farms, and their product is very good.

Japanese BBQ is a thing here now too.

I visit B&B pretty frequently and wasn’t aware of their designation!

Heartbrand Beef, headquartered in bustling Flatonia, TX, raises Akaushi beef, which is a variety of Waygu (I think?) About

I had a conversation with Morgan Weber (Agricole Hospitality) a few years ago on eG. He is from Yoakum and was familiar with the company. He was giving me tips on ordering from Yoakum Packing, which distributes the product along with several other lines of Central Texas meat products, and how to cook it. There is a learning curve.

I bought some of the hamburger patties from Foodtown but neither store near me carries them anymore. I also bought a steak from a Rice Epicurean to try. They had a very small selection. It is easy to overcook. There’s only one Rice left and I haven’t been there to look for it again.

I am not a big steak eater.

1 Like

Nope. Already here. Killen’s, Pearland

Other bbq places around Houston are also serving prime brisket, though maybe not Waygu, including The Pit Room (Montrose), Pinkerton’s (Heights), Pappas new Delta Blues Smokehouse (Webster) and probably Tejas Chocolate Craftory and BBQ, (Tomball).

I guess the last time I was at a place that was considered a steak house it was Texas Tumbleweed :grin:. They went out of business in the mid-80s I think. I haven’t given up red meat completely but have cut way back over the years but I have had Bo Luc Lac twice this year at Hughies, so there!

I used to occasionally buy a whole rib eye but my favorite steak at home or at a restaurant was a porterhouse. I’d have lots of leftovers if I ordered one of those these days.

I also would buy pinwheel steaks, which I discovered in the 70s, and cuts for London Broil, which I discovered in the 60s. I guess another reason I don’t fix steak at home much is my oven’s broiler is pretty weak. I remember also a half decade or so ago there were stories about flat iron steaks and I sought one out and fixed it at home. Can’t remember where I got it or how I prepared it.

So here’s a question for Houston steak afficionados - what’s your favorite steak at home and where do you buy your beef and how do you prepare it?

2 Likes

Ribeye on the grill until medium rare. I get them at any of my grocery haunts if they look good. I have never bought one that is as good as a good steak restaurant and I don’t know why. I once heard that you can’t buy the quality that that is served at restaurants, but I don’t think that’s probably true.

Last month I was at HEB/Bunker Hill and they had single packaged steaks of all kinds that looked really amazing (in front of the glass butcher’s case). I wasn’t doing steaks that weekend, but I’ll be going back and try those. Durn pricey they are.

Also, 44 Farms delivers, but only in the area the farm is in (Cameron, Milam Co.) They sell to restaurants and I’m seeing them more and more. Seems like they will turn up in local groceries soon.

I’m interested in others’ answers to this, especially where to buy a good steak. So where?

2 Likes

Team #Ribeye

Lambsy, to get a good restaurant quality ribeye, try Petes Fine Meats on Richmond just west of Sage. They can get you a steak that properly cooked will come out more similar one you would have delivered to your table - specifically a dry aged steak.

Ain’t cheap but worth it and still a lot cheaper than Brenner’s.

(I’m way too old to be typing on a phone but here I am!!!)

2 Likes

Hubbell and Hudson in The Woodlands used to have an amazing case of dry aged meats when they had a grocery section in the cafe. I don’t think they do anymore.

Does either sell our favorite, deckle – ribeye cap?

You might have to call ahead but much like Alice’s Restaurant, “you can get anything you want” at Pete’s.

1 Like

Also an easy DIY project – bring home boned and tied rib roast, undo tying, and take off deckle; then tie it up again.

1 Like

Only if you answer to Dr. Deckle or Mr. Tied.

Best effort on a Friday night.

1 Like