Let's talk cookbooks!

I feel like doing a little cookbook shopping. What are your favourites?

I have a fondness for The Complete Vegetarian Cuisine by Rose Elliot because it was one of my first vegetarian cookbooks and I love how she includes photos identifying different foods by category in the beginning of the book ie: beans / pasta / cheeses / fruits etc.

I still have an attachment to The Moosewood Cookbook and went on to buy several Katzen/Moosewood books. Sundays at Moosewood is great although not entirely vegetarian due to some fish but it has a vegetarian focus and it introduced me to cooking international dishes.

I have a few that I’m eyeing and would love opinions on them if you’ve used them.

Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet
by Schinner, Miyoko Nishimoto

The New Now and Zen Epicure: Gourmet Vegan Recipes for the Enlightened Palate
by Schinner, Miyoko Nishimoto

Veganomicon: the Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
by Moskowitz, Isa Chandra
or
Vegan With a Vengeance, 10th Anniversary Edition: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
by Moskowitz, Isa Chandra

The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook: 100 Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Table
by Burks, Justin Fox; Lawrence, Amy
by Romero, Terry Hope, Moskowitz, Isa Chandra

What are your recommendations?

I don’t use cookbooks all that often. Also having moved recently to a smaller place we had to get rid of some. Even so there were three that had to be kept.

The Moro Cookbook- Sam and Sam Clark.

Real Fast Food- Nigel Slater.

European Peasant Cookery- Elisabeth Luard

I am not a Vegetarian, yet some of my favorite cookbooks are the Vegetarian ones. These include lots of Mollie Katzen and Moosewood Collective books, Deborah Madison Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and Vegetarian Suppers.

Devoted Vegetarian and I have such a stash of cookbooks! But these are my favorites
Hmm, Ten Talents - Frank Hurd - the mother of all Adventist cookbooks
Silver Hills Spa Cuisine - another Adventist cookbook
Savoring the Spice Coast of Indian - Maya Kaimal this got me into Southern Indian food from Kerala. Love, love, love it. Though now I mostly cook from South Indian cooking blogs
Melody of India Cuisine - Laxmi Jain old but good, uses tofu and soy very creatively.
Silk Road Cooking- Najmieh Batmanglij adore Iranian food.

Assuming that you enjoy south asian food, then “Prashad” by Kaushy Patel.

Prashad is a restaurant in the UK county of Yorkshire (about an hour’s drive from me) which serves entirely vegetarian (mainly Gujarati) food. it’s excellent - one of those places where I go and don’t miss having meat. As you might expect with Indian food, the spice ingredient list can be a bit lengthy but, assuming you were going to cook regularly, wouldnt be an issue. We’ve cooked this pea & cauliflower recipe a few times - always enjoyable - http://jonoandjules.com/2015/03/23/prashads-pea-cauliflower-curry/

1 Like

Veganomicon is awesome. More of a reference book for great day to day recipes and techniques. And isa is crazy about recipe testing and writing until it’s “right” in her own home kitchen
Her website has a good number of recipes too
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/

I own minimal cookbooks since i do and always have lived in a small apartment but this is one of them

thanks Harters, Gujarat is about as far north as I go as my family isn’t fans of Northern food. I’ll definitely make the curry looks good. I have two spice drawers dedicated to Indian spices as there are fab Indian markets in my area