Let's talk cookbooks!

I feel like doing a little cookbook shopping. What are your favourites?

I have a fondness for The Complete Vegetarian Cuisine by Rose Elliot because it was one of my first vegetarian cookbooks and I love how she includes photos identifying different foods by category in the beginning of the book ie: beans / pasta / cheeses / fruits etc.

I still have an attachment to The Moosewood Cookbook and went on to buy several Katzen/Moosewood books. Sundays at Moosewood is great although not entirely vegetarian due to some fish but it has a vegetarian focus and it introduced me to cooking international dishes.

I have a few that I’m eyeing and would love opinions on them if you’ve used them.

Artisan Vegan Cheese: From Everyday to Gourmet
by Schinner, Miyoko Nishimoto

The New Now and Zen Epicure: Gourmet Vegan Recipes for the Enlightened Palate
by Schinner, Miyoko Nishimoto

Veganomicon: the Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
by Moskowitz, Isa Chandra
or
Vegan With a Vengeance, 10th Anniversary Edition: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
by Moskowitz, Isa Chandra

The Southern Vegetarian Cookbook: 100 Down-Home Recipes for the Modern Table
by Burks, Justin Fox; Lawrence, Amy
by Romero, Terry Hope, Moskowitz, Isa Chandra

What are your recommendations?

(Chris) #2

I don’t use cookbooks all that often. Also having moved recently to a smaller place we had to get rid of some. Even so there were three that had to be kept.

The Moro Cookbook- Sam and Sam Clark.

Real Fast Food- Nigel Slater.

European Peasant Cookery- Elisabeth Luard

(Laura) #3

I am not a Vegetarian, yet some of my favorite cookbooks are the Vegetarian ones. These include lots of Mollie Katzen and Moosewood Collective books, Deborah Madison Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and Vegetarian Suppers.

(rory) #4

Devoted Vegetarian and I have such a stash of cookbooks! But these are my favorites
Hmm, Ten Talents - Frank Hurd - the mother of all Adventist cookbooks
Silver Hills Spa Cuisine - another Adventist cookbook
Savoring the Spice Coast of Indian - Maya Kaimal this got me into Southern Indian food from Kerala. Love, love, love it. Though now I mostly cook from South Indian cooking blogs
Melody of India Cuisine - Laxmi Jain old but good, uses tofu and soy very creatively.
Silk Road Cooking- Najmieh Batmanglij adore Iranian food.

(John Hartley) #5

Assuming that you enjoy south asian food, then “Prashad” by Kaushy Patel.

Prashad is a restaurant in the UK county of Yorkshire (about an hour’s drive from me) which serves entirely vegetarian (mainly Gujarati) food. it’s excellent - one of those places where I go and don’t miss having meat. As you might expect with Indian food, the spice ingredient list can be a bit lengthy but, assuming you were going to cook regularly, wouldnt be an issue. We’ve cooked this pea & cauliflower recipe a few times - always enjoyable - http://jonoandjules.com/2015/03/23/prashads-pea-cauliflower-curry/

Veganomicon is awesome. More of a reference book for great day to day recipes and techniques. And isa is crazy about recipe testing and writing until it’s “right” in her own home kitchen
Her website has a good number of recipes too
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/

I own minimal cookbooks since i do and always have lived in a small apartment but this is one of them

(rory) #7

thanks Harters, Gujarat is about as far north as I go as my family isn’t fans of Northern food. I’ll definitely make the curry looks good. I have two spice drawers dedicated to Indian spices as there are fab Indian markets in my area