Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Put the mask back on.

2 Likes

Nowā€¦ thatā€™s some heavy drinking, JR.

3 Likes

Sad, but 100% true story!

I only recently learned that scallops HAVE eyes, via the brief correspondence I had with the great neurologist and writer, Dr. Oliver Sacks, whom I held in the highest esteem.

1 Like

Met him several times ā€“ he was a great guy.
However, first time I almost mistook him for a hat (jokeā€¦. only a joke)

2 Likes
  1. San Francisco Bay Area.

2. Cookbooks, gardening, cooking, restaurants.

3. About 20 years ago, my husband and I went on an all day hike on the big island of Hawaii. It happened to be Christmas Eve. When we finally got back to the car at the end of the day, we realized a). we were starving, and b). we had no dinner plans. We looked up and saw a restaurant called Merrimanā€™s, went in, and asked if they had any openings. They told us they were fully booked. Someone followed us out to our car and said they could seat us, but weā€™d have to eat fast. Okay, we can do that! It was fancier than we expected, and soon people came streaming in wearing suits and beautiful dresses. We were in shorts, sweaty t-shirts, and muddy hiking boots. We had such delicious food, and were treated so warmly. Iā€™ll never forget it.

4. My husband is English, and I love our trips exploring the UK.

4 Likes

Pegster - What a nice memory from Merrimanā€™s. We have dined there many times and have never had a bad meal.

2 Likes

You can take da boy owta Brooklyn, but heā€™s stilla Brooklyn boy.

Ha! And my husband had a similar incident when he was a kid (7 or 8 years old?) with the neighborhood bully; so he bided his time by sharpening a popsicle stick on the pavement until it was as pointy as can be. When the time for revenge came, he got the kidā€¦in the neck. All of a sudden the bully went running home crying to his father, who came to talk to my husbandā€™s father. And what did Dad say? ā€œHe deserved it!ā€ This was in 1950s Brooklyn, if it makes a difference :wink:

2 Likes

Howdy, howdy everyone! Itā€™s me - NonnieMuss from CH.

1. Kentucky, most recently known as the most embarrassing state in the nation. Am I the only one here representing the bourbon state? Our state motto is ā€œThank God for Mississippiā€.
  2. Oh, it varies depending on my mood, what Iā€™m reading, or what Iā€™m cooking. Sometimes itā€™s the low-quality of enhanced meats at grocery stores. Often itā€™s homemade pizza. Currently itā€™s a weird Jesuit baking book I found online.
  3. A couple years ago I got into cheesemaking - not seriously, Iā€™m just a dilettante, but itā€™s inspired me to start blogging and trying new things. My first chevre tasted like chevre. My first camembert tasted like bathroom cleaner. Equally exciting.
  4. I am a secretary. I am tall. One time I met Patrick Swayze. I played a dead person in Our Town many years ago. I drive a Corolla. I collect back issues of CI magazine. Currently I have lost my voice, but enjoyed two days of sounding just like Kathleen Turner before it disappeared entirely.
9 Likes

It sounds like your husband grew up in the same Brooklyn neighborhood as I did, and in the same era. :grinning:

1 Like

And I still have a scar on my neck!

3 Likes
  1. San Francisco, Russian Hill and wherever my feet and Muni take me.

2. Most passionate about a good bowl of noodles; most knowledgeable about Shanghainese food (especially jia chang and street food).

3. Eating the best red-cooked pork belly in Shanghai at Jesse (吉士) on my 67th birthday (and having my arteries live to tell about it).

4. My last food industry job was as attendant to the flaming dessert wagons at Top of the Sixes in New York in 1961.

6 Likes

Bensonhurst? Luckily Iā€™m from the Bronx so I can take it :wink:

1 Like

Noā€¦ dare I even say itā€¦ Brownsville! (Actually, a block from East Flatbush).

A Bronx girl, eh? You girls had quite the reputation in Brooklyn, ya know. :wink:

Hi Steve!

Hi all. I am Prunefeet on CH as well.

Currently living in Washington Heights (upper Manhattan), which is great although not a great food destination aside from good Dominican food. Grew up in Greenwich Village in the 60s/70s and that very much colors who I am. Iā€™m mostly interested in tasting new things and my preference is for great hole in the wall joints, particularly regional Chinese, Korean, Tibetan etc. I lived in rural Indiana for 8 years and discovered a love for gardening which I hope to be able to pick up again at some point. Wish I had time for all kinds of homey projects like pickling and bread baking - one of these days! The most important food moment in my life was the discovery of kimchee in my teens - it woke up a previously dormant food passion!

2 Likes

Wondering where you went. I guess Gowanus became too trendy, huh? Canal Barā€™s still there. Time for another trip to Flushing?

1 Like

My dad used to be a cop in Brownsville, he took me there a few times when he went in for a quick something or other.

But we moved to Levittown when I was in second grade, so I never got totally up to speed on the ā€œBronx girlā€ thing :wink:

My cousins moved from Bā€™klyn to Levittown in the early 50ā€™s ā€“ maybe that was the beginning of the mass exodus from the city to the 'burbs.