Let's introduce ourselves and get to know one another better

Did he mean like ‘hokn a chinik’?

That would work! But more like “Hok mir nit in kop!” , which apparently means “Stop bending my ear (Lit.; Stop banging on my head)”.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m familiar with Yiddish. I was wondering if you were going with a particular idiom here. Trying to guess (always hard when transliteration is involved too.)

2 Likes

Being the irritating child that I was, I repeatedly heard both exclamations from my parents.

3 Likes

I’ve absorbed too much from multiple sources and probably pronounce it all wrong, lol.
Survive the wind!

(post deleted by author)

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the world. Just an awesome place. They have a pretty good cookbook too. I gave a copy to my wife. Some years back pre-covid, we were having dinner there. The server was very chatty. When my wife mentioned how much she loved the cookbook, he asked if she had it with her as he would get David out of the kitchen to come and sign it if she did. Alas, we didn’t have it on us. Never occurred to bring it with us. I guess some do.

1 Like

Jen, were you at Met?

Some day I will get a chance to eat there. Some day!

An interesting read:

1 Like

I read that a while back. Glad he is taking the time to make some choices for himself that he thinks will be better in the long run. Meanwhile, I still have the two cookbooks to work through!

2 Likes

David McMillan tweets, in case you’re interested https://twitter.com/davemcmillanmtl?s=21&t=pHnpUXXm3wCQKkbSh-zY0Q

2 Likes

Thanks for that link!

2 Likes

Word of mouth has it that, although they have pulled back from some of their excesses, the food is still very worth going for. I sure hope so, since we have reservations in 2 weeks.

2 Likes

I didn’t know about David. Interesting to read what happened to him. Totally understand the burnout. Hope the future hold more promise for him.

1 Like

Here’s some more reading from a couple of years back:
https://www.bonappetit.com/story/david-mcmillan-sober?

2 Likes

I remember so well the first time we went to Joe Beef. We arrived a little late for our reservation and had to wait a bit. Eventually they showed us to our table. My lovely wife went to the restroom. I started chatting with our server. I asked a few questions that showed what I was interested in. She and I chatted a bit about what was really interesting for that day on the blackboard menu along with wines to go with the food. We had a great conversation and had a great rapport about food and wine. When my wife came back she saw I was having quite the conversation with the server. She asked me what that was all about. I told her I was just asking questions about the menu.

Our server comes back with the wine I picked with her help and then takes our order. Next thing I know, there is a dish showing up we didn’t order. She tells us its on the house. My wife looks at me with a look that says “really what did you talk to her about?” Then come the apps we ordered. After they cleared those plates, another course comes that again we didn’t order. Finally our mains. I am ready to explode by now. Our server comes and asks if we would like dessert to which we say there is no way we can eat anything more. She then tells us in this sly way don’t worry she is having the kitchen prepare us a special dessert. A little while later she brings us the ice cream fantasy concoction with all sorts of hard shelled chocolate and candied things strewn all over it. It was amazing just to look at. Needless to say we rolled out of there barely able to move. On the way out I made a reservation for dinner again the next night.

Fabulous food in excess with a staff that is unmatched. We love the place. Wife wants to go back this summer to see how its survived Covid. Seems like there will be some changes from what I read in the story you linked. Good for him.

7 Likes

Hi there!

I’ve just discovered hungry onion as part of Paris restaurants research for a trip in 2 weeks, and liked the discussions I’ve seen.

1. I’m in Cambridge, England, UK.
  2. How French food culture is infinitely superior to the English one and how English supermarkets are infinitely inferior to French ones.
  3. When I was 7, we were moving with my parents from Paris suburbs to the south of France. We stopped about half way through in a wonderful Relais & Chateaux place. I was starving and craving “poulet-frites”. My dad was telling me that this place is fancy and there’s no way they’ll have that. Lo and behold, on the menu there is a Poulet (maybe de Bresse?) for 2 with potatoes. My dad and I devoured the bird, and is still to this date my favourite meal. Even as a kid, I loved cheese. They had a cheese board which was overlayed on a massive map of France and was able to name a bunch of them. So having roquefort (my favourite cheese if you couldn’t tell from my avatar) and more after the chicken was absolutely amazing.
  4. I am French but also half Portuguese, living in the UK for the past 5 years. Since moving here and moving into true adult life (I’m now 27), I’ve always wanted to eat at restaurants less often but of higher quality instead and have failed miserably with the poor selection in the UK and with the fact that drinking beers in pubs is also nice. I’m now trying to reverse that trend and finally discover great restaurants wherever I go.
15 Likes

Welcome to HO, Noosh!

1 Like

Welcome to HO, @Noosh!

1 Like