Lenten Fish Fry Suppers

I saw that posted on r/neworleans and got a good laugh out of it! According to them, turtles are also “fish.”

2 Likes

Public school lunch menus in Maryland in the 50’s and early 60’s always served fish on Friday s: alternated between tuna sandwiches and fish sticks. I didn’t know why at the time…but it was OK by me, especially when the cole slaw appeared. Note to the youngsters: the cafeteria ladies made it “in house.” I’ve been trying to replicate that slaw my entire life.

4 Likes

That time of year is here again. :slight_smile:

Any feasts on your radar in the near future?

1 Like

There are many, many places in our neck of the woods that do this. I’ve yet to partake, but plan on doing so this year. Lotsa churches, fire companies, etc.

PA serves theirs with mac, slaw, and stewed tomatoes. Not sure I understand the appeal of the latter, but after having lived here for close to a quarter century (YIKES!) I feel like it’s time to dive into local culture :joy:

Only weird thing is that most of them run 4-7pm, which is a little early for dinner for us, and I worry if we go towards the end of the event, all the good stuff will be gone :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I had a Popeye’s fish sandwich! It was not as good as in prior years. I’ll try another one at a different Popeye’s.

I’m gonna look for church fish fries in Manhattan.

2 Likes

Can you find any where they serve alcohol?
I love stewed tomatoes and never see them on menus anymore but I’ll have to agree, at these events this is a new one for me too.

In PA? At a church function? Thx for the chuckle. I doubt even BYOB would be allowed.

4 Likes

I was wondering about that. :slight_smile:

Liquor, lol… absolutely not!

Stewed tomatoes are definitely a local… thing. I remember them from school lunches, church suppers, all the usual scenarios. We didn’t make them in our house, but many PA Dutch cooks of my acquaintance do, and consider them “required” on certain menus (growing up, they were always served if there was macaroni and cheese on the menu. ) When I started canning tomatoes, I usually would have a little bit of cooked tomato in its own sauce left over - not enough for a new jar - and I realized it was essentially stewed tomato. With the addition of a lot of salt, I like it a lot.

3 Likes

In Western PA, fish sandwiches are a thing in taverns and bars year-round so that’s a regional option. Also at church Lenten fish fries there, you might see haluski (cabbage and dumplings or noodles) as an available side. Maybe stewed tomatoes are an Eastern PA thing?

In Massachusetts where I have lived most of my adult life, church fish fries aren’t so common. And haluski isn’t something I have seen here. Period.

I have a friend (an old colleague) who adores stewed tomatoes. There’s a local restaurant that actually still serves them. My friend says a woman comes in every day solely to make them.

2 Likes

If you hadn’t noted that you’ve been there for 25 years I would have asked if you were new to the area. Unless you’re a youngun’ you eat dinner at 5, watch the news at 6, tv or movie until 10 and then lights out. I spent most of my life in the city, but moved to the burbs about 10 years ago–it still amazes me how dark everything gets at 10 pm.

4 Likes

Mabez that’s more the older generation? Granted, we live in a college town, so the population skews young, and the academic workforce hails from all over the country/planet, so we’ve managed to ignore what might happen in the more rural parts of the state :wink:

2 Likes

Fortunate! I get a terrible case of the 9 Pm sads here.

2 Likes

Oddly my neighborhood is a pretty good cross-section (older folks, young families, American, immigrants). In the lat 3 years at least 4 homes have turned over from older, original owners to young couples or families. And yet, it’s still lights out at 10. Well, the new family next door did have barbecues and drinks on summer weekends last year and sometimes stayed out until after 11 :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Oh, we’re def the outliers in our street, although we’re not the youngest in our hood anymore. Even “Miley Mansion” next door has fewer parties than we do :joy:

1 Like

This year’s KC region list.
The archdiocese puts this out so maybe other areas do this also.
Definitely still wine and beer available at a fair number.
Still none here in Southern Oregon that I have found.
Of course, not many Catholics either.
:cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Codfather FB group, which includes a post with the link to the 2024 interactive fish fry map for Pittsburgh.
The 2024 interactive map:
https://codeforpittsburgh.github.io/fishfrymap/?fbclid=IwAR1cJuyDK6aNKf6Z_uiyP3V130eHFkoqd8I1j6E9BbVKvfdCEkNyF1_THYI

2 Likes

We have lots of Catholics in southwestern Ontario and in Toronto.

I found a couple fish fries at churches in Windsor (near Detroit) and in Niagara Region (near Buffalo). Buffalo and Detroit have many fish fries listed on various maps.

I’m seeing very few fish fries in the rest of southern Ontario.
I noticed one sign for a one night only fish fry in Lucan , Ontario, a traditionally Irish village, near London, Ontario. That’s about it.

Any postings I’ve found online are for previous years, not this year. Interestingly, some churches I’ve found offering the fish fries in SW Ontario over the last 3 years have been Protestant, not Catholic.

1 Like

I’m glad to see that the fish sandwich is back at Popeyes. But, $12.99? Is that what you paid?