Leave-in thermometer

Same. I have a simple leave-in thermometer too. With a cable that comes out of the oven. I can set an alarm for when the temperature hits my target. All very simple and straightforward.

1 Like

Do you ever run your oven up to around 550Ā°F/288Ā°C, like for fast pizza cooking, and will the probe wire handle that kind of temperature?

Strangely enough while going through a junk drawer I found a loose probe but couldnā€™t figure out what it was supposed to plug into. It sure didnā€™t fit any of my other stuff. I finally remembered that it came with my oven, 10+ years ago, and thereā€™s a spot for it to plug in on one of the oven walls. Maybe this year Iā€™ll dig out the manual and figure out how to use it (making sure it calibrates against others).

It took me almost 3 years to figure out how far off my oven was. It just took a lot longer to bake recipes than they called for, and I often would just add 20 degrees to the instructions. I finally got a leave-in bimetal thermometer and when it and the Maverick probe agreed the oven was running 30 to 35Ā°F lower than set temp (30 at lower temps like 275, 35 at higher temps like 500), I googled how to recalibrate. It wonā€™t permit me to add more than 35, so I guess Iā€™m lucky that was the extent of the miscalibration.

1 Like

I was just reading about this: The probe cables on the Square DOT can withstand up to 700F

1 Like

Thatā€™s impressive; thanks. The Mavericks (admittedly this is 30+ year old tech) have woven-wire leads that crap out over 450F or so. (Iā€™ve had to replace a couple)

Might be time to upgrade my cave kitchen!

YW. Thought Iā€™d share given I had just read about it. Unfortunately, itā€™s going to be tricky to find a Square DOT in Australia, so might have to go back to the drawing board.

From the sounds of it youā€™ve already got a prettily well-equipped cave kitchen

1 Like

You can get all kinds of different probes, separately, for ThermoWorks thermometers.

2 Likes

I have used the leave in with cords, usually while smoking meats on my electric smoker, but more recently purchased a ā€œMeaterā€ and a ā€œYummlyā€, both of which are cordless, Bluetooth, and have phone apps.

I mainly use the Meater, and I use it for small cuts , like steak and chicken. I donā€™t know how accurate it would be for large roasts.

1 Like

I also use Yumā€™s wireless thermometer for short cooks. For long smokes I use ThermoWorks Smoke X2ā„¢ Thermometer

1 Like

Actually, it is the Yummly I end up using. Using it now. The app is more intuitive.

Just as important is the leadā€™s abrasion- and kink-resistance. You have to balance that, because the spiral-wound armored leads probably will not allow your oven to fully close.

1 Like