Lazy Bear (SF)

Recently we visited for the first time Lazy Bear https://www.lazybearsf.com/ and really enjoyed the experience - creative, thoughtful cooking, relaxed, yet professional service. We also liked their upstairs room to finish the night with some desserts. Their goodie bag with breakfast for the next day (cake, coffee) was also a nice gesture. Well deserved Michelin stars

1)Forager’s Tisane - Wild Bay Area infusion, Bay Area honey

2)Whipped Scrambled Eggs - Bacon, maple, hot sauce

3)SF Bay Halibut - Nectarine, gooseberry

4)Kusshi Oyster - Tomato, preserved chili

5)Local Anchovy - Hass avocado, cucumber

6)Sweet Corn - Lazy Bear reserve caviar

7)Early Girl Tomato - Wagyu pepperoni, black olive

8)Roasted Eggplant - Vella dry jack cheese, sungold raisins

9)Half Moon Bay Black Cod - Gold bar squash, green zucchini

10)Whole Liberty Duck - Stone fruit, liver mousse, slim jim

11)Coal-Roasted Ribeye - wagyu beef from Miyazaki prefecture, barbecued carrot, bloomsdale spinach

12)Melon Float - Piel de sapo, crenshaw, canary

13)Strawberry - Pound cake, lemon verbana mousse, elderflower

14)Gummy Bear (Huckleberry, lemon, pine) and Macaron(Concord grape, peanut butter)

15)Cookie - Mission hot chocolate

14 Likes

I’ve always wondered about that place!

Lovely Photos.
Surprised by the seemingly out of Season Ingredients, Melon, Tomato, Huckleberry, Eggplant etc…
I do see they mention “utilizing a wide variety of preservation methods” so perhaps those Ingredients had been preserved.
Regardless sounds like it was a great meal and environment.
In my old Neighborhood as well!

1 Like

A lot of ingredients at Lazy Bear indeed include different preservation methods, e.g. fermentation etc. The old problem that descriptions in high-end restaurants tend to just name the ingredients but not really how they were utilized

3 Likes

I was guilty of the same.
It is an easy way to create a bit of surprise and mystery. :wink:
Also makes a Menu read much better.

1 Like

I like this place, but hadn’t been in a while, and went a few months ago. If I was someone who had never been, I’m sure I would have been blown away. Def. pulling its weight as a 2-star.

However, they’ve done away with the most endearing part of their past history: group dining. Previously, there were two seatings, and the entire seating (of… 100 people? 50 people?) was served at the same time. The chef who cooked that course would announce it, often with a bit more detail than a server would have known to do, also because they had to do it only once (or twice per night) for the whole group. I always met people at the restaurant who were interesting and we had fun conversations, partially because we would be on the same course and encouraged to talk together at the long shared tables. Of course it was STAGGERINGLY hard and impractical in many ways, but that was part of the charm, but lazy bear was different and special. I’m sure it cut down on revenue, because only two exact seatings (if you wanted to eat 30 minutes later tough).

I did have a chance to ask the chef, since he did stop by the table (long story, it was that Very Rainy Night and the roof was leaking a little), and I asked… he said it was just too hard to keep up. Fair point, but allow me the moment of nostalgia. Apparently they shifted over to standard format a few years ago, so it had been longer than I thought since I last went.

And— if you like Lazy Bear, do stop by True Laurel. It’s associated in some way - similar owners? some managers the same? - but in a casual-ish atmosphere. Make mine the deep fried mushrooms.

3 Likes

We were quite happy that they didn’t do group dining anymore - we like it sometimes in more casual restaurants but not in high-end ones. We really like slow paced tasting menus which is nearly impossible in such group setting. We actually asked during our tasting menu at Lazy Bear if they could slow down as we didn’t like the speed of the first two courses and it was no problem for them to go really slow and relaxing which added to our very good experience

2 Likes

I appreciate the benefits of the “standard” method. You get a more personalized start time, you get more personalized experience. But you get that experience out of all the other tasting menu places in the city, in america, in the world, from Saison to Crenn to Protoge down here on the peninsula.

[ Sidebar: Japan’s omakase system doesn’t work our standard tasting menu way, it works the old lazy bear way. Two seatings, be on time, chef makes everything in a batch and announces. Means you can run a small house - chef + one assistant - no servers - but they have slightly different economics. I did have a very interesting conversation a few weeks back in Japan with the guy next to me at one of those meals. ]

Lazy Bear’s group dining had drawbacks, but it also had plusses - the chef announcing the course with a level of detail and passion that servers are hard pressed to replicate, meeting and talking to new people about food and life. I came to believe having one place that did it differently - with plusses and minuses - was an OK thing. I really love my diversity, Lazy Bear had a different model, and feel a bit of a loss when some is lost.

I remember a place in Atlanta that had a different model too - it was like State Bird but with a chef who made a dish came around to the table with a cart, so you could rap with them, and they would ask you how you liked the dish, and thus they constantly adjusted the dish. The owner actually required them to change the dish every week. In some sense it doesn’t make sense to have someone with chef skills spending time serving, but I found that personal touch incredibly different and a breath of fresh air - I’ll always remember that meal. (I remember it was called “something and something” and I think it had an americana or western theme).

The first meal I had at lazy bear was at their warehouse pop-up thing at Chicken John’s on Chavez. There was some REALLY LONG pause - like 45 minutes - between courses. I ended up sitting and talking with David the head chef after service - I sent back half a bottle of a fairly rare wine (and went to the corner liquor store for a new bottle during one of those pauses), so he came out and chilled with me. He said it was a nightmare service - two cooks no-showed, and his general staff level survives one no show, not two. I found the whole experience more quirky and intimate - the 45 minute gap allowed me to go hang out on a couch in the back garden and rap with the guy grilling the Monterey spot prawns for the next course. As someone who has mostly removed tasting menus from my general eating pattern (more the fact that my SO / main dining partner dislikes the rigidity in amount of food), this one still had a warm spot in my heart.

I also happen to know one of the investors in LB. I happened to run into him - he also invested in my company - and he was saying a few years ago, probably about when the switch happened - that ticket sales had slowed down a bit and they were going to need to make changes.

I can appreciate being in the standard mold has more commercial viability and less friction, and I would rather have lazy bear succeed than fail, but I’m sad sometimes when a new concept that I happen to like doesn’t make it in the broader world. Not surprised, perhaps, but a bit sad.

It’s a classic problem in commercial art - be different, but not too different :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have it quite often that the chef or cooks bring and explain many of courses at tasting menus. At Lazy Bear at least half the courses weren’t brought and explained by the server. Similar just recently at Birdsong. In today’s economy with smaller wait staff the line between BOH and FOH often starts to fade a bit in such settings

Wonderful! Still on my list to visit one day - if for no other reason than it’s 2 blocks away from me! It’s a place that my editor and I talked about me reviewing years ago, but it was decided it wasn’t in the budget.

1 Like