Lava Pit BBQ in Long Branch NJ

Has anyone been? http://www.lavapitnj.com

I think this place is rather new. I will try to get by soon.

Cool. I am near there a lot, mostly to go to Jack’s for wings, but if you have time next week for lunch, let me know and I can meet you for some bbq.

What does BBQ themed mean?
Couldn’t it just be a good old cue joint?
Asking for a friend… :full_moon_with_face:

1 Like

It should be “lava themed” where the floor is “hot lava” and they have a variety of couches and ottomans that you have jump to and from to get to the counter to order. If you hit the floor on the way, back to the entrance and start over!!!

3 Likes

I think it’s Hawaiian themed?

1 Like

That is what I saw on Google too. I’m not sure. Their website is awful. I wish companies would spend like 200 bucks and have some kid design a a half decent page with an “about us” page, some half decent pics, and a menu with prices.

3 Likes

So tomorrow I’ll be hitting this place up with our friendly moderator Dave @seal

What should I get? I was thinking the three meat platter or possibly getting a few apps and maybe some alacarte brisket. The Philly cheese steak rolls, stuffed jalapeños, and lava fries all look good.

I will be getting a kids meal with grilled cheese and a toy.

2 Likes

I should have actually gotten the grilled cheese…

Did you ever go to a bbq joint and suspect that the food you were served was not really bbq? There were clues. No smoke smell for one. No pink smoke ring in any of the meats. Flavorless, overcooked food. It wasn’t cheap either.

I took a lot of pics but the food was so bad none of them came out. OK, that last is not true. Well, it may be, but there is likely some more technical reason for the pics not coming out. You are not missing anything.

@corvette_johnny and I put the over/under at 5 months before they are gone.

2 Likes

That sucks man. Sorry you wasted the time and $$$. I guess they will claim “bbq style” isn’t actually bbq. Also I hate these f’ing schilling sites that hype places for cash. Initial article talks to how popular place is and what a gem in lb that everyone is taking about. Open since May. One yelp review.

1 Like

Oh boy…well let’s start with a positive. It was great to see Dave and catch up on some food talk and some random offbeat topics.

I don’t really know what to say about this place. With 2 local smoke establishments, jsbbq, TST, and surf bbq within a roughly 15 minute radius, a new bbq spot has to bring their A game. This was not even close. Maybe I’ll write more later but for now, the highlight of the night was walking down the road to Jacks and getting some garlic buffalo wings and ribs lol. Yes, we left with some takeout and walked down the street to Jacks for more food :slight_smile:

Also, Dave and I were taking about a possible HOdown before labor day. If anyone has some ideas, please let us know.

2 Likes

So here are some pics. First here is 6 wings from Lava:

Not sure if it comes through in the pic, but the skin was limp, saggy, and yellow - not crisp at all. Now here is 6 wings at Jack’s:

Even though about six months ago they stopped covering the entire plate with sauce, these crispy hot garlic wings are still among the very best. Here is the two meat combo plate with brisket and ribs from Lava:

The best thing on the table was the cornbread and that was likely from a mix. Here is a rack of ribs and more wings from Jack’s:

Regulars know that Jack’s ribs are also not bbq, but for steamed and grilled ribs they are mighty tasty. Also, although they started out as Jack’s Rib n Ale house all those years ago, they never claim to be bbq. Finally, here’s a pic of @corvette_johnny - note the incredulous look on his face after he tried some of Lava’s food:

2 Likes

Looks like I got the best end of the deal by not being around! (sorry guys) Jack’s as a back up was a good plan, glad you guys enjoyed things there.

Thankfully nobody experienced this reaction to “Lava”:

1 Like

Gee, I’m not sorry I missed Lava, but I am sorry I missed Jack’s as I’ve still never been there.

First thing I note from the pics is all the empty tables, of course now we know why.

Really a shame to spend the money to open a place and pay so little attention to getting the food right. But we see it over and over.

3 Likes

We were the only table in the place from our start to finish. Mix was railed next door.

beat me to it- was just about to comment on the complete lack of anyone else visible in those pics…for such as “popular spot” per the glorified press release website posted above.

I think the owner should try to make this a Hawaiian joint. I don’t see it lasting too long as a BBQ place. Competition is getting fierce locally with quite a few places to choose from.