Last meal of this decade?

In Provençe & Côte de Azur, there is a 12 Pastry Celebration …

This may take place in other regions of France as well …

Paryzer,

We had this New Year´s Eve dinner at my parents, and my grand parents live with them, so it is a true family reunion, which is the best part.

We are leaving for Verona in the morning, so all my best for a lovely, healthy, successful and happy 2020 ahead.

Shall keep in touch and after the 6th, I shall do some French cuisine at home. We adore Provençal Mediterranean cuisine … Ratatouille is a fave and we have excellent staples of aubergine and courgette and tomatoes as well as red and green peppers (bells and horn shaped).

3 Likes

That is wonderful that three generations can unite and celebrate the New Year! Enjoy your time in Verona. I look forward to your future posts!

2 Likes

Year three of us spending New year’s with our good friends and their kids in the Catskills. Our girls are 2.5 and 3 and they have an infant.

I made carne asada tacos. I thought they needed more time to marinate but had to rush it along after we took our daughter to try snowboarding in the am! Also, I will never try to cook steak without my thermapen again.

I made guacamole. Tacos were topped with queso fresco and cilantro and onion. Sides of yellow rice and refried beans. Thankful my husband talked me into buying the tortillas.

The adults all drank too much but made it to midnight! :clinking_glasses::grin: Happy new decade!
IMG_20191231_190520

4 Likes

There are more actually.

Our twins sons and their wives and our 2 grandsons, us, my parents, and my grandparents and my inlaws.

Yes, we gather together at Christmas, New Year´s, Easter, anniversaries and birthdays.

All our best wishes to you and your Dear Mrs. and have a healthy, successful and happy 2020.

Ciao.

2 Likes

You mean the pastry “gateau des rois” for epiphany?

1 Like

Last meal of 2019 was a cheeseburger and what might be the best drinking food ever created. Basically it’s currywurst roast potatoes. Roast potatoes with sauerkraut and sliced frankfurters sitting on curry sauce.

6 Likes

I have a sick husband so no NYE celebrating. I made soup with these leftovers from Qi Steam Kitchen down the street.

Hot & Sour Soup

Sautéed Sesame Asparagus

I was hesitant to get asparagus as it’s a little early in the season even in SoCal and they were huge. But! They were delicious.

Sichuan-style Chicken w/Chili Sauce & Peanuts

…Well, Nurse Nancy aka Me needed a little something festive.

Coinkydink, I cheated yesterday and made the semi-homemade version by doctoring up cans of Chicken & Wild Rice Soup w/Baby Kale, Leftover Charcuterie (Bresaola, Rosemary Prosciutto Cotto, Salami), a Slurry of Vegenaise, Lemon, Arbosana Olive Oil & Sriracha

Sick husband slurped it down.

5 Likes

Where was it and what did you drink? :wink:

Looks great & wonderful additions! Hope the hubs is feeling better soon.

Oh, and I really like the fact that nurse Nancy is a two fisted drinker! :joy::joy:

3 Likes

i believe if memory serves me correct, this is the 12 pastries for New Year´s Eve …

I recall a Patissier telling me a few years ago in Nice.

Gateau des rois ( the king´s cake ) is for the Epiphany. Called El Riscon de Los Reyes in Spanish.

Thanks @Lambchop! Hah! You caught that. No, that’s last year’s photo when husband wasn’t sick. I got the same bottle this year. It was the very last bottle of the store’s stock! :cry: So I was also farewell toasting that champagne with that champagne. :clinking_glasses: Happy New Year!

In our hotel bar in Reykjavik. Mostly drinking Ulfur a very nice Icelandic IPA. Also the young barman made me an excellent old fashioned. Come midnight I went to the rooftop to watch the fireworks and shared aquavit with my new Icelandic friends.

3 Likes

Tried searching internet, no information on that. Maybe a really local thing.

Are you still in Iceland? Just saw on tv, Bildudalur is a paradise in Iceland, especially in winter. Beautiful landscape, one can swim in a 40ºC sea when temperature is 3ºC.

1 Like

Not in Iceland now. Just landed in Copenhagen. This part of the trip was a surprise though ( I’m celebrating a significant birthday).

4 Likes

Happy Birthday, enjoy, nice Missus (I guess).

Happy Birthday, @paprikaboy!

2 Likes

Oh how fun! Happy Birthday! Reykjavik looks so beautiful in photos and being a fish lover I would be in seafood heaven. How many layers of clothes did you have to wear? :snowflake: :sweat_drops: :grimacing:

Happy birthday @paprikaboy!