** LAST CALL - HOdown 11/4 at Shiraz, Elmsford NY - RSVP here!

I’m out for this one unfortunately. Soccer for my brood ends in 2 weeks, so I’m looking forward to a December HO-Down (if there is one!).

Arghhh!! I’m working this weekend! I so wanted to go!:pouting_cat: Sorry Guys! Maybe next time.

I doubt we’ll do a December one. If people are interested, maybe we could do a mid-January one. Once this HOdown is over I’ll post a new thread so those interested can brainstorm ideas.

Last call, everyone! This will be taking place at noon on Saturday. Four of us are going as of right now.

1 Like

Just a suggestion… if you do one in March, do it at a place that offers a lunch menu for restaurant week, so you can take advantage of the reduced fixed price. We’re having lunch at Saltaire on Saturday but there are obviously other places as well. I was a bit surprised to see you do it during HVRW and then not have it at a participating restaurant.

Maybe we can convince you to plan a March HOdown, Misterbill! :slight_smile:

Good idea! But you need to come!

Ah yes, the danger of complaining about how something is organized… you get to own the fix :frowning:

Have fun all and report back!!

3 Likes

@Homestyleturkey @Foodygrandma @pbhat23 and I had a fantastic lunch at Shiraz in Elmsford today!

The company and conversation were wonderful and we shared a bunch of different dishes. We had a thick, creamy yogurt dip with their fresh baked bread, pickled vegetables (not as good as I remember last time), and pickled mango. The pickled mango was a new dish for me-- a lot going on in it-- sweet and spicy and sour and tangy all at the same time. For entrees the vegetarian in the group ordered a vegetable stew that was very fragrant and seasoned well. For meat dishes, we shared the fesenjan, another beef dish, and a chicken dish. The fesenjan several of us had been craving for a few weeks and it did not disappoint. The beef was tender and went well with the leftover yogurt dip. The chicken was a nice surprise-- very moist and tender with good color on it. For about $30 each we had quite a feast with plentiful leftovers.

Service was friendly and attentive. They had a party going on in the back but the front area was pretty quiet with only a few other tables occupied. They did not have special lunch pricing-- I wonder if they’d consider this as I imagine it would draw some more people in.

I really encourage anyone who hasn’t joined a HOdown to come to the next one. It’s really great to meet people with a uniting common ground such as food!

4 Likes

It really was a great meal. The mast-o-musir (yogurt dip with shallots) was creamy and savory, like an elevated onion dip. I was a little disappointed with the mixed pickle appetizer as it seemed to be the contents of a jar of commercial giardinieri (obvious from the 3 or 4 small strips of red pepper) with some cornichons added. They weren’t bad, they just weren’t special. I mentally compared it to the homemade pickled jalapenos, carrots, and onions served at Tacos el Poblano on Nepperhan where you often have to remove the cloves, bay leaves, and thyme stems before eating. The mango pickles were a little more intense than I’ve previously eaten. It had more of a jam-like consistency than I was expecting. I was hoping for more of a raw fruit texture. It was still a nice counterpoint to the mellow yogurt.

The main courses were exceptional. I love both koobideh and fesenjan and they lived up to my expectations. The saffron chicken kabob was surprisingly juicy, probably due to a yogurt marinade. All of the basmati sides were fluffy and perfectly cooked, with the expected standout being the one with dried cherries and pistachios. There is an upcharge for it, but it is definitely worth it and tastes as good as it sounds.

My surprise favorite was the Persian vegetable stew with eggplant, potatoes, tomatoes, sour grapes, and barberries. It was the sort of dish that was so harmonious, it was difficult to determine which aspect was the most delicious. I was able to try a sour grape via PBhat’s diligence in sorting through the stew and it was just piquant enough to make me sit up and take notice of its existence. I wouldn’t have noticed it individually as it was cooked down quite a bit, but I’m happy to have been made aware of its influence in the mix.

Service was attentive and accommodating even with a large party happening simultaneously in the back room. Of course, as always, the company was the best part of the meal. I hope we can count on having an even bigger group for upcoming HOdowns. We are not an intimidating group and would absolutely welcome new additions.

4 Likes

The barberry persian stew was so good, that I’m still craving it. The eggplant within it was so fresh and of high quality, that it didn’t have many seeds. The potato was cut with precision and care. I love the tanginess of it, as it’s something unique. The whole restaurant is pricey, but of high quality.
I loved the must o musir was deliciously creamy. I haven’t encountered a texture like that before.

My daughter tried a piece of the lamb kebab. She personally doesn’t like lamb/goat in general, however, she says the lamb was quite juicy. They should have made it more tender, as it would be fantastic.

I enjoyed the mango pickle. It’s different from Indian mango pickle.
Lastly, I loved the rice. However, I wish the original Tahdig was made as it would have paired great with the stew.

3 Likes

Fantastic report - sounds like a fun & delicious meeting! Wish I could have been there. Would love to make the next one.

1 Like