Las Marias Tacos y Pupusas - Raleigh

Used to be Fonda y Birrieria Jalisco on Ronald Drive in Raleigh. It still looks the same, other than the open window to the kitchen which has been closed in. The new owner is the owner of Vallarta on Capital Blvd. and one great thing they share in common is the salsa verde. I believe it may have an avocado base, but it is smooth, spicy, and delicious.

The menu is Mexican Mexican, as opposed to Tex-Mex or Americanized Mexican. Taco fillings include many of the usual suspects plus buche, suadero, and - get this - campechana. The pupusas, Salvadoran rather than Mexican, are unexpected and tasty. Three make a fine lunch. There are four varieties and the curtido is one of the better ones I’ve had.

The staff has varying levels of English skills but there shouldn’t be any problem communicating and they are attentive. The menu is mostly translated, as well.

A nice addition to the “midtown” Raleigh restaurant roster.

2 Likes

Is campechana a type of seafood cocktail? I haven’t seen that one before. A truck here in Carrboro had a mixed chorizo & queso as a taco filling. Glad to hear that spot still has good Mexican food. I also like the distinction of Mexican Mexican food vs Americanized Mexican food.

Yes, campechana is a tomato-based seafood cocktail as opposed to a “clear” citrus-based ceviche. I think that one is on my list to try next.

We really like this place. Really good soups, tortas, tacos and other house specialties.