Lao Gan Ma - Crispy Chilli in Oil

Oh no! I probably paid more, but I just received a big jar through Amazon @ElJefe - totally worth the extra cost IMO.

I would overpay if shipping to where i live (Thailand) was affordable. the cheapest Iā€™ve seen was $53 incl shipping for the large size.

Itā€™s possible to make your own version. Check out a couple of recipes online and give them a go.

I like to use dried shrimps, dry shiitake and Sichuan peppercorns as well as Sichuan heaven-facing chillies in mine.

2 Likes

Whatā€™s the saying? ā€œI put that sh_t on everythingā€?

Since discovering chili crisp oil (and not too long ago either), Iā€™ve put it on everything. Makes a nice spicy slaw, Iā€™ve spread it on burgers for a little crunch and kick, mixed into dumpling sauce and various Asian stir-fries, and even dipped French Fries into it.

Perhaps most shameful, though, was during an apps night we were doing. There was an array of items ranging from breads and cheeses to dumplings. I had a few to drink and found myself unconsciously dredging crusty Italian bread through this Asian chili crisp oil and scarfing it down. It was heavenly, actually. :rofl:

7 Likes

Plenty of ideas for me. Thanks.

I really hadnt thought it would such a well used product

John

2 Likes

Now I need to try that. Reminds me somewhat of a focaccia and dipping oil complimentary app that a chain called Not Your Average Joeā€™s used to serve, maybe still does. Except chili crisp would have more kick!!

1 Like

Gifted a jar of LGM Chile Crisp to a friend who had never heard of, nor tried it. She called to ask what to use it on, and I gave her a couple ideas, before she interrupted to say she could eat it by the spoonful, with nothing else! I almost love it that much too! Excellent condiment.

Also like some of the other LGM chile sauce products, particularly the one with pieces of fried tofu, diced rutabaga, and peanuts. Have a big jar of it.

2 Likes

LGM is turning into the new sriracha. Shelves are often empty at Asian markets lately. Now you can even buy enormous jugs of it. Itā€™s powered by an enormous amount of MSG, IMO the best way to enjoy it is straight out of the jar or on a piece of rice or chicken or something. Because of the MSG flavor if you add even slightly too much all you taste is the LGM MSG flavor. Also, if you cook with it you lose that magic crispness.

1 Like

And now Trader Joeā€™s has added this.

2 Likes

Where? I would like one!!!

Iā€™m always willing to part with some.

If the price is right ā€¦ :wink:

3 Likes

In my area it can be found at 99 ranch, a Chinese market chain.

1 Like

Hey ipse, long time! Did you just get here or have I just not seen you all this time? Anyway good to hear from ya.

Youā€™re the reason I canā€™t find LGM!! If only I could go back in time and buy some LGM stock. I was a part of the LGM appreciation society group on FB back when it had like 20 members, now itā€™s out of control. Haha. Yes please send some this way!! Have you tried the other kinds? Any favorites? Iā€™m working through a jar of chili in oil now, almost the same flavor profile but no crispness.

Weā€™re over on the LA board.

The primitive recipe on which this appears to be based is: heat oil hot, stir in dried chili flakes, allow to cool, use as a dipping sauce.

But they really ā€œwent to townā€ on this one. :slight_smile:

If itā€™s the new sriracha, I would be thrilled. That product has outstayed its welcome about 20 times over, IMO.

2 Likes

Breakfast this morning - Lao Gan Ma as a dip.

4 Likes

Weā€™re on our 4th jar of grandma. I was introduced here. And itā€™s weird, I liked it a lot, then less, then not so much, and now, not really. The last thing I put it in, I didnā€™t want to eat any more of it as a result. It all started when I began detecting a musty taste in it. I donā€™t know how to describe it, but the closest thing is maybe I imagine it tastes like fuzzy mold smells. The kind that you might get on your oranges or potatoes if theyā€™re too old. And now that Iā€™ve detected that taste, I canā€™t not taste it. It isnā€™t the jar, because this is the 3rd jar where Iā€™ve experienced the same thing. Different vendors too. Is it only me? Or does anyone else taste this same musty flavor?

2 Likes

I donā€™t know about musty, but sometimes I think the oil might get rancid, or have that canola oil aroma.

1 Like

I tasted it from the onset - didnā€™t quite like it. I actually attributed the taste to prickly ash, listed as one of the ingredients. It has a slight numbing effect on oneā€™s tongue, just like Sichuan peppercorn.

1 Like