[Lafayette] Randol's

Google turns up a number of local places where they serve Cajun food and, also, have Cajun bands playing. We’d had a disappointing evening somewhere else a couple of nights before but decided to give the idea another try. Glad we did – food and music was much better.

One starter was a simple house salad about which there’s absolutely nothing interesting to be said. The other was boudin balls. We’d been on a Cajun food tour during the day and learned that boudin can be the sausage that is the literal translation. However, it is also the meat/rice/spices mix that gets stuffed into sausage skin. Or, as here, rolled into balls, breaded and fried. The taste and texture of the boudin reminded me of haggis. Went well with the creamy dipping sauce.

For mains, my companion in life went with a shrimp combo. On half the plate, breaded fried shrimp with fries. On the other half, shrimp etoufee – smothered shrimp. A generous portion, perhaps 20 shrimp, covered in a creamy, slightly spicy seafood sauce and served with rice. Both elements were delicious in their own way.

The “catch of the day” featured redfish, something I hadn’t eaten before. Two thinnish fillets of perfectly cooked fish, “blackened” in the local style. They sat on fried cabbage, mixed with andouille sausage which was, to my taste, and interesting combination which worked extremely well (and one I might try to recreate at home).

Separated from the dining area by windows, is the “salle de danse”. The windows cut the sound down so you can hear the band without it being intrusive, and watch folk dance.

2 Likes

A favorite destination for local SW Louisiana hosts to take us. The cypress gator our front has endured.

1 Like

I always enjoy the recaps of your travels. It’s great that you are taking the time to really explore so many regions in the U.S.