LA trip report

Back from a great trip to LA! Here’s where I ate, in order (pics where available):

Marlou (downtown): cozy gastropub with good, if pricy, items for sharing. (See pic of tuna tartare)
Spudnuts (University Park): great donuts. The Cronut is really something. (See pic)
Langer’s (Macarthur Park): The Number 19 lived up to the hype, and then some. (See pic)
Pizzeria Sei (Pico-Robertson): Everything was really good. (See pic of Napoletana pizza)
City Taco (University Park): Small, popular place in USC Village.
Chichen Itza (Exposition Park): Very popular (well deserved) spot in the Mercado de Paloma food hall. (See pic of poc chuc plate)
Gjelina (Venice): Very good (and pricy) spot for breakfast. (See pic of Shakshuka)
Sugarfish (downtown): Popular and fun, if quirky, sushi spot. I got the “Don’t think, just eat, trust me” omakase. Excellent quality, but without a doubt the darkest restaurant I have ever eaten at. Good thing I didn’t have to read the menu, because I couldn’t.
Donut Man (Grand Central Market): Excellent traditional donuts (and bees)
Bao place at Smorgasburg: My daughter got six bao – they looked good
Taqueria Vista Hermosa (Exposition Park): Another stand in Mercado La Paloma. Good food at reasonable prices (See pic of wet carnitas burrito)

Looking forward to my next trip!

11 Likes

Nice report.

Yes, the bees at GCM is a special treat, graits. :smile:

2 Likes

While i like langers, i think the best deli’s are in the valley: Art’s and Brent’s.

Of course, Art used to fuss over me when my parents took me. There will only ever be one Art.

3 Likes

My bother lives in Santa Monica, and recently went to Langer’s. He said “31 bucks for a sandwich, 25 for potato pancakes”. Does that sound right? I don’t remember spending that much, but I probably would have.

2 Likes

My Number 19 was $24, so definitely not cheap. But I was lucky enough to sit next to a guy who asked me to watch his tablet while he went to the loo – he paid for my lunch!

5 Likes

I thought the whole point of tablets was that you could take them to the loo with you!

1 Like

That is an awesome looking pizza!

Steve it was fantastic! As is having a daughter who will share a pizza with anchovies, capers, and Castelvetrano olives!

2 Likes