LA Times article about what happened to CH

Here is the beginning of my report :frowning: http://www.chowhound.com/post/dry-aging-beef-home-iso-specifics-28-days-973332?commentId=8957375#8957375

yes, yes and yes;
no, no and no;
plus maybe,could be, might have - to most/all/some of your questions.

when one sets out out to make some application / technology as difficult to use as possible, of course only the die-hards will be there.

fast-backward to CompuServe. they charged by the minute - more or less pennies per minute depending on your modem connect speed (and that only later in life…) people dropped out because they could not afford to interactively participate. then comma of course comma there were those advanced clued-in-by-aliens people that used off-line readers. log on, download the messages, log-off. feel free to take minutes/days/hours to read/respond.

AOL ate their lunch. what was it CompuServe missed? something the Forums admin=WizOps and SysOps=aka Moderators failed to mention? no, in their crushing self-serving arrogance, CompuServe missed the obvious.

as brought out by so many, there are two issues:

• the technical environment - when people perceive it takes more time that it is worth to participate, they don’t.
  • the social environment. when people are uncomfortable participating in a wild west environment, they cease doing that. when “the management” bashes people over the head for posting actually/factually/true information in response to some eenterrnet eeeeeediot and see their experience deleted/demeaned while the eeeeeeeediot opinions remain posted, they cease participating.

the more assertive of that member type raise the issue and get banned by the inept-non-experienced-who-cares-I’m here-for-my-check admins.

I’ve been doing computers since PDP8 was a hot number - booted up with a 2 inch wide mag tape. the last time I had to call CompuServe the phone person told me my “number” could not be right because it did not have enough digits.

so, there are no surprises. just more eeeeeeeeeediot “managers” who think tags are the only possible way and future.

3 Likes

Your is the best thing I’ve read on this tiring subject. You nailed it on all counts. Thanks.

1 Like

I think most people have the intellect to learn new things, especially when there is a genuine interest in the subject to be learned or there is a work related requirement.

Change can be very frustrating which is why “Readily Accepts Change” it usually not an area most employees receive top marks in during evaluations.

The change at Chowhound was radical and participating is hardly a requirement in life. Make what is supposed to be a simple fun past time activity into a complex endeavor and the frustration outweighs the fun.

1 Like

agreed – and I as much as said that in one of my posts.

We’re dealing with a new computer system at work – processes and procedures are changing daily and sometimes more than once a day.

I’ve had it up to my eyeballs with dealing with a horseshit system that was ill-conceived to begin with, and changes every time somebody gets a fart crosswise – I’ll be damned if I’m going to come home and deal with more of the same horseshit when I just want to relax and talk about food with people I like.

Thanks again to Shen for setting this up – for EXACTLY that reason.

2 Likes

I hear you on the frustrations & also the big thanks to Shen.

I knew there were other sites but I only stumbled on this one when there was a direct click on link in that LA news piece discussing the problems at Chowhound.

As soon as I clicked it and tooled around for a minute I saw all the familiar Hounds & signed right up.
I wish I wasn’t suspended from CH because I would like to go back in and spread the word about this site to friends. 90% would join as soon as they saw everyone here.

1 Like

I remember you saying it didn’t come out as well as you had hoped but you seemed to vanish from Chow not that long afterward. My initial thought was that something bad happened to you :worried: Glad my thought was no good :smile:

I got the heave-ho by vip in the fall sometime.

We were just talking about that meat process and maybe we’ll try a strip. I was SO disappointed having read you and others for so long.

There are 391 of us, Tom34, all from CH… so the gang is figuring it out. :wink:

2 Likes

I know you stood your ground when challenged but your demeanor/language never seemed hostile/rule breaking to me!

I think I would have gotten expelled from “C” sooner but I changed my provider to Comcast and never notified “C”. As a result I may have been somewhat of a ghosts to the “C” grim reaper. Right after the September format changes it seems “C” went on a suspension rampage and I was targeted for extermination and was tracked down (Logan’s Run) :imp:.

On the meat end of things, the marbling often does not show well through the cryovac with the whole rib sub primals. On the other hand, the 0x1 strip loin usually does. Lots of pictures of good marbling on the the clean end of the strip on that old thread.

As Brian and I discussed in length, its a hit or miss thing. Better than 50% of the time I will look at 20 or 30 strips at RD and walkout empty handed. Other times I find a prime one in a Choice bag and snatch it up. .

Never had much luck at BJ’s. Very few on display to pick from. Same for Sam’s since they stopped carrying the Sterling Silver branded product.

For an extra buck a LB, a local butcher may be able to hand select one for you.

1 Like

Thats great to hear.

Seems backwards but sometimes you don’t realize what was lost until you get it back!

Considering what we paid for a bad result, it would be better to pay more and get the desired results. Thanks, Tom.

Yes, but we provide free content.

And I’ve never paid for “admission” to a site. I DO make an annual donation to wiki.

1 Like

Chowhound made a business decision. History will judge this action. I wonder if Chowhound has been losing money for CBS. So CBS has no choice but to do something drastic. Yes, it is a well respected site, but that does not make it a profitable one.

1 Like

CK, if I had to make a bet, considering all the product providers they’ve lost, they’ll just shut the site down. You know, why throw good money after bad. Maybe they can sell the archive to some of the alternative sites that are up and running.

Also known as the “Dean’s Dip set”.

3 Likes

if one care to look up the balance sheet for CBS, it’s all expressed in rounded billions. that is B as in Billions, not M as in Millions - I hate to be a bebbie bowner, but as a not mebbie mowner, let’s just admit the Chowhound site is not so much as a rounding error blip on their P&L.

1 Like

True but they wouldn’t have bought it they hadn’t planned on it being profitable.

Don’t forget that they didn’t buy Chowhound directly. CNET acquired Chowhound, and then CBSI bought the entire CNET holdings, which include product reviews, tech articles, and freeware/shareware/demo software downloads.

1 Like