La Société Bar & Café [San Francisco, SoMa]

I had dinner at the bar at La Société Bar & Café in SoMa recently. It’s a hotel restaurant in the Hyatt Regency on 3rd Street just off Market. I went on a Sunday, when the main restaurant was closed. The menu at the bar and lounge area is a slightly abbreviated version of the regular menu.

Eater blurb:

Started with the La Société Martini ($20)
citrus vodka, garden gin, pineau de charentes, suze
Pineau de Charentes is a fortified wine (thanks Google). A nice boozy cocktail, with a bit of bitterness I think from the Suze.

Then a
“DEVILED” OEUF with kristal kaluga ($9)
Yes a nine dollar deviled egg, but it had caviar on it! And it was good.

and
HOG ISLAND OYSTERS DU JOUR ($26/half dozen)
gin cocktail sauce, champagne mignonette
I neglected to write down what species, but they were from British Columbia. Good oysters, a few errant shell bits. Nice house made cocktail sauce.

ONION SOUP GRATINÉE ($19)
aged comté, roasted bone marrow, oxtail ragoût
A great rendition! Beefy onion-y broth with a gooey cheese covered crouton that had some crunch. A bit non-traditional as I think there were beef pieces inside (the oxtail?). The marrow bone on the side was delicious as well, cemented to the plate with some puréed potatoes and topped with shredded beef.

For a main I had one of their
STEAK FRITES, 6oz PRIME HANGER ($45)
duck fat pommes frites & au poivre sauce
The least expensive cut option. Very good. Good medium thick fries fried in duck fat, with a nice mustard aioli and ketchup. The hanger steak was cooked medium rare as requested. Quite beefy and a little chewy as expected from hanger steak. It was covered with a nice creamy poivre sauce and had some raw greens on the side.

For dessert I had the
CLASSIC VANILLA BEAN CRÈME BRÛLÉE ($12)
fresh & preserved raspberries
A nice crème brûlée with raspberries and brightened up with some mint.

This was an enjoyable meal that was maybe a little on the expensive side, perhaps in part due to it being a hotel restaurant.

Some of the bar menu:

Outside:

11 Likes

That looks good, and the hotel-y-ness of it all tells me my mom would like it when she’s in town. And I would like the food. Thank you!

1 Like