La Saison (Cambridge, MA)

La Saison, a bakery, opened at 407 Concord Ave about a year go, not the best time for a food place to open. I’d passed by it several times, and finally went in. It’s pretty good breadwise, and pretty great pastrywise. I particularly liked their pistachio-rose cookie, with a crispish exterior, and a moist, rich interior, and their orange-marzipan scone. Their breads are sourdough, but not as sourdoughy as I might wish, and a little on the pale side. But I’ve not sampled many of them yet.

They have an interesting back story and are well worth supporting:

Here’s their website:

They’re a small outfit and they run out of breads by noon, so if you want something in particular, I suggest calling a day ahead and reserving.

5 Likes

Very interesting back story as you say. The pictures on their website are enticing too. Those crackers look amazing!

2 Likes

Oh my, this looks appealing. Persian flavors speak to me (okay, a lot of food voices in my noggin and I do enjoy their company).

4 Likes

Yes, the crackers look great – but they don’t always have everything on hand. If you particularly want any of them, call ahead.

There’s a certain charm in how a small outfit like this operates, and you have to go with the flow. Their Barbari/Barberi bread looks nothing like the picture on the website, nor is it a Wednesday special. It’s a Thursday special, except this past Thursday they didn’t have it because “it didn’t come out right”. I happened to stop by the next day, and they had, unannounced, a shelf-full of it.

But, again, they have interesting baked goods and are well worth visiting.

4 Likes