[La Caleta, Tenerife, Spain] Masia del Mar

There aren’t many better lunch locations in the area than this – right on the ocean in the centre of La Caleta. It’s right up there with our personal favourite location – Las Rocas at the Jardin Tropical hotel.

Almost needless to say, seafood is the way to go here. A starter of squid rings was bang-on – dusted with seasoned flour and quickly fried. It needed nothing more than a squeeze of lemon. The other starter was even simpler – just plain grilled prawns. Big prawns. Succulent prawns. Prawns that some would suck the heads of – but not us.

Sole meuniere is a classic and rightly so. Simply fried in butter, it didn’t need any more cheffing about. I’m a big fan of tuna but less so of the North European style of serving it just seared on the outside with the inside still raw. I can eat it like that but not with the same enjoyment as I eat it in Spain (or when I cook it at home) where it usually comes fully cooked through but still moist. Medium rare, if you will.

We shared a plate of Canarian potatoes and another of fresh, crisp salady stuff.

2 Likes