Kumamoto - Oysters, Basashi, more…..

Shinkansen to Kumamoto. 39 minute run. Quick day of eating.

Hope we brought enough food before the next feeding!!!

7 Likes

I absolutely adore Japanese egg sandwiches!

1 Like

I have to try very hard to control myself, or I’d overindulge!!

This time was my first fruit sando, after seeing them literally hundreds of times before. Tasty, like eating a cake with fruit. Only with soft pillowy milk bread.

1 Like

Any kind of such Asian sandwiches appeals to me a lot.

1 Like

White breads in JP are so fluffy. Hate white bread anything at home but I like it in JP.

Also, I’ve tried but seen no Halloween specials at any fast food outlets. They used to have at least something before (black burgers, sausages etc).

https://i.imgur.com/RFKJ2P5.jpg

Eagerly boarded the Shinkansen this morning, visions of mountains of the world renowned Kumamoto Oysters dancing in my head. Must have screwed up my research. Not a single bivalve to be found in the vicinity, on foot or online.

Basashi, also a Kumamoto specialty was in abundance all over however. DW had performed better due diligence than I. A quick visit to Kumamoto Castle, then we were 3rd in queue for the 11:30am opening at the Suganoya flagship location.

https://maps.google.com/?q=Japan,%20〒860-0807%20Kumamoto,%20Chuo%20Ward,%20下通り1%20Chome−9番1号%20ダイワロイネットホテル熊本銀座通り2F%20SUGANOYA%20Ginza%20Street%20Store&ftid=0x3540f40d2c1203f1:0xd76f6d275a119f4b&hl=en-US&gl=us&entry=gps&lucs=,47071704

The venue was elegant, service was accommodating and genuinely hospitable.

A couple of Highballs to start. The Signature Basashi lunch and the Basashi & Steak sets to share.

A well dressed and balanced salad to whet the appetite.

A wonderful flow of gorgeous dishes in various presentations followed. Our server and captain delightfully did their collaborative best to describe the dishes thru limited English and universal gestures, their efforts greatly appreciated.

This is NOT tweezer food. Taste was as pleasing as the artful presentation. Accoutrements complement and enhance the textures and nuances. Fresh grated Wasabi, Ginger, Moshio Salt, etc….

Perfect medium rare Grilled Steak. Wasabi, Garlic Chips, Sea Salt and House Soy Sauce.

Basashi Nigiri.

DW requested the supplement of Heart sashimi, sadly not available today. Gladly took the suggested Liver sashimi, excellent!! Fresh lively taste with a slight snappy bite. Touch of Sesame Oil, smile inducing.

Chestnut Pastry, Asian Pear, Coffee and Oolong Tea.

Finis.

5 Likes