[Kuala Lumpur] Sunday lunch at British-Indian-themed Frangipaani

One-month-old Frangipaani at the Republik in Plaza Damansara, looked like it came straight out of the film-set of a movie set during the British Raj period. It actually got me worried quite bit when we arrived at the restaurant for our Sunday lunch last weekend - over-emphasis on the interior decor to detract diners from the actual food on the plates? It was a neighbourhood eatery after all - albeit in the posh Damansara Heights suburb.

Turned out, I need not have been concerned: Frangipaani delivered where it counts - good, solid renditions of dishes spanning all corners of India. We started off with some lassi. The rose-cardamom and mango lassis were both creamy-rich, fragrant, and not cloyingly-sweet like those served in many Indian spots in KL. A good start.

1. For starters, we ordered the Batata Vada Pav, described in the menu as the “Punjabi version of London’s Chip Butty, sprinkled with red “hill billy” Ghati Masala to taste”. I recognised this as a common but very tasty street food which I really enjoyed during my visits to Mumbai. Basically small, soft buns sandwiching delicious golden-fried potato dumplings, and slathered with sourish green chutney and sweet tamarind sauce. Mumbaikars grab a few of these on their way to or from work to munch as convenient, light snacks. Over here, Frangipaani’s batata vada pav preserved all the flavours and textures I remembered from my Mumbai sojourns.

2. The Roasted Beetroot Raita, a glossy-pink concoction, was absolutely delicious, though I had expected chopped bits of beetroot in the raita, rather than just a beetroot-flavoured, smooth-textured yoghurt.

The mains:

1. Goan Chicken Cafreal - the perfectly-cooked, green-hued chicken cafreal was absolutely delicious: moist baked chicken, gingery, full of aromatic spices.

2. Keralan Mutton Stew - I loved this dish as much as the previous one. This was tender mutton chunks with long beans and carrot batons, in a coconut milk-enriched, well-spiced stew, intoxicatingly fragrant.

Accompaniments:

1. Jeera Saffron Rice - cumin- and saffron-scented basmati rice.

2. Choor Choor Paratha - these were flaky, layered, flatbreads, perfect for moping up the gravy from our plates.

Altogether , a most enjoyable lunch. Raring to come back and try the other dishes on its menu. Prices are pretty reasonable here, eventhough it’s in Damansara.

Address
Frangipaani
Mezzanine Floor, Republik @ Plaza Damansara
Jalan Medan Setia 1, Bukit Damansara
Kuala Lumpur.
Tel: +603-20110030
Opening hours: Tue-Sun 11am-3pm, 6.30pm-11pm, Mon 6.30pm-11pm

5 Likes

My local Mumbai street food restaurant does a lovely vada pav. I’m a big fan.

1 Like

That makes two of us. :grin: