[Kuala Lumpur] Nyonya Supper Club by Sharon Ann De Souza

Sharon Ann De Souza runs perhaps KL’s most popular Nyonya supper club, a 2-year-old private kitchen dining set-up very much sought after by KL-lites who’re tired of large, commercial dining establishments that lacked authenticity.

Sharon Ann’s home-cooking style fills that gap perfectly. As Sharon Ann is half-Malaccan-Portuguese-Eurasian and half-Malaccan-Nyonya, her menu usually spanned the best of both hybrid cuisines. Our dinner that evening was more Portuguese-Cristang than Nyonya as Sharon varied her cooking according to the availability of the best & freshest produce she could find. Sharon worked alone, and the only help she got was from her husband, Scotsman Richard Thompson, who served the dishes and also played the perfect host to the dinner guests. To reserve a table at Sharon’s for the evening, you need a party of at least 8. I was lucky that a couple of my good KL foodie friends managed to rustle up a party of 9 of us (at “quite” a short notice of one week) for dinner last Friday evening.

Our dinner consisted of:

1. Seh Bak with pig’s intestines, pig’s ears and tofu. She served it with chili-cuka (blended chili-vinegar) and crushed “kong th’ng” (peanut brittle), a spicy-sour-sweet dip that was perfect for the soy-braised stew.

1. Seafood Otak-otak.
    Sharon Ann’s Scottish husband, Richard, served out the large platters of hot, freshly-cooked dishes. This was a strictly mom-and-pop set-up, smoothly run by the genial couple.

Sharon Ann’s otak-otak was a cross between Penang’s Northern-style otak-otak with its moist, souffle-like custardy, savoury pudding, much alike Thai hor mok or Cambodian amok, and the Malaccan/Singaporean Southern-style otak-otak which is firmer and drier, like its Javanese cousin, the botok Jawa. But Sharon Ann’s otak-otak was an amazing concoction in its own right, and the tastiest thing I’d ever tasted in a long time.

1. Nasi Kabuli. This is a rare, hard-to-prepare aromatic rice dish which used to be served in traditional Baba-Nyonya wedding dinners, but which we hardly see these days. Her version was perfect.

2. Spam Ambilla. My favourite dish for the evening - only the Portuguese-Eurasians could think of using Spam for curries, but it turned out so very well.

The Spam Ambilla went perfectly with the Nasi Kabuli.

1. Chicken Kari Seccu.
    One lady in our party did not take mutton, so Sharon prepared the chicken version instead. This was the weakest dish I had that evening - I can’t help feeling the mutton version would have been perfect.

2. Ham Hock Kari Captain.
    This is different from the Penang Kapitan Curry. The inclusion of potatoes was great, as the root vegetable complemented the salty ham hocks and the very spicy gravy.

One of our party (who’d been to Sharon Ann’s supper club before) brought along sourdough bread to soak up the spicy gravy.

1. Portuguese-style baked fish, using Red Snapper. My fellow diners loved this dish, but I was really too full by then to appreciate the dish.

2. Banana blossom salad (kerabu jantung pisang) - this was served last, but was my favourite dish of the evening. We were really too satiated then, and I could not take more than a couple of spoonfuls.

3. Sago Gula Melaka. Very prettily-presented. Delish, as only home-cooking can be.

Nyonyaware used for serving.

This was my favourite dining experience for this one-week-long trip to Kuala Lumpur. Penang has a similar one - Nyonya Su Pei which offers Northern-Nyonya dishes, but I really liked Sharon Ann’s mix of Southern-Nyonya and Malaccan-Portuguese dishes more. It’s a treat for KL-lites, too - I was here with 8 other KL foodies/gourmands - as Kuala Lumpur, despite its proximity to Malacca (only 1.5 hours’ drive away) strangely has very few Southern-Nyonya restaurants (the sort we find in Malacca and Singapore), and almost every Nyonya restaurant in town serves only Penang-style Northern-Nyonya cuisine.

I’m looking forward to a return visit to Sharon Ann’s supper club again. Not a mean feat - she only cooks for a minimum of a party of 8. The going rate currently is RM150 (US$37) per head - worth every cent, though, IMO.

18 Likes

This is it: 𝗦𝗵𝗮𝗿𝗼𝗻 𝗔𝗻𝗻 𝗗𝗲 𝗦𝗼𝘂𝘇𝗮’s private supper club, featuring the best Malaccan/Southern-Nyonya cuisine I’d ever tasted anywhere. I’d waited years to come back here.

Her customers included Malaysian royalty and top chefs from all over the country. Our dinner party last night included a 1-Michelin-star chef, one of KL’s top bakers, a well-known restaurateur, and gluttons like yours truly. :smile:

Sharon Ann’s dedication to her craft, and the care and attention she puts into her cooking are unrivalled anywhere in KL. She limits her dinner parties to a maximum of 10 guests.

Our dinner last night consisted of rare and hard (impossible)-to-find dishes we’d only dreamt about - those cooked by our grandmothers, long-ago taste memories brought back to life in front of our eyes.

1. 𝘈𝘺𝘢𝘮 𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘩 - chicken marinated in tamarind and coriander

2. 𝘏𝘢𝘵𝘪 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘪 𝘣𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘬𝘶𝘴 and achar chili sumbat - I’d dreamt of having these two dishes for years and years! The last time I had hati babi bungkus was back in Singapore in 2010! No one does it anymore there! As for achar chili sumbat, my late grandmother used to make it, but I’d not tasted it since 1996!

𝘏𝘢𝘵𝘪 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘪 𝘣𝘶𝘯𝘨𝘬𝘶𝘴 - coriander-scented pig’s liver wrapped in pig’s caul.

Achar chili sumbat - pickled chilis stuffed with shredded raw papaya - traditionally, hati babi bungkus is served with “luak chye”, pickled mustard leaves/stems. But Sharon Ann chose to pair it with another hard-to-find Nyonya classic: achar chili sumbat - a stroke of genius, as the sharp, astringent stuffed chilis went brilliantly with the hati babi bungkus, and puts “luak chye” in the shade.

1. 𝘈𝘺𝘢𝘮 𝘴𝘢𝘮𝘢 𝘵𝘶𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘨 𝘣𝘢𝘣𝘪 𝘣𝘶𝘢𝘩 𝘬𝘦𝘭𝘶𝘢𝘬 - chicken & pork-ribs buah keluak. This was how the dish was cooked during my childhood - more than half a century ago. Nowadays, the pork-ribs component is omitted, as most people simplified this dish, using only chicken. Only old fogies of my generation remembered the time when this dish was cooked the original way.
    The blend of pork and chicken is what gives the dish a special richness and sweeter, more savory flavor. Last night, Sharon Ann’s dish gave us a jolt - putting us in a time machine and transported our palate back by 50 years.

1. 𝘜𝘥𝘢𝘯𝘨 𝘮𝘢𝘴𝘢𝘬 𝘭𝘦𝘮𝘢𝘬 𝘯𝘦𝘯𝘢𝘴 - prawns in a coconut milk-infused gravy, with pineapple chunks. I just had the same dish at the Peranakan Mansion, Malacca’s top Nyonya restaurant, a week ago - Sharon Ann’s rendition was a class above in its complexity and perfect balance of flavors.

Sharon Ann used tamarind juice as the souring agent, which is gentler than vinegar, used at Peranakan Mansion.

1. 𝘉𝘢𝘣𝘪 𝘵𝘰𝘩𝘢𝘺 - pork belly with fermented krill (gerago). The last time I had this was back in 1972! I was eight then. It tasted exactly as I remembered the dish to be. :heart:

1. 𝘒𝘦𝘳𝘢𝘣𝘶 𝘫𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘢𝘯𝘨 - banana flower salad with jumbo prawns.

1. Dessert: deconstructed 𝘳𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘢𝘩 𝘶𝘥𝘢𝘯𝘨 - glutinous rice with coconut chips, dried shrimp powder, and black pepper ice-cream.

Absolutely loved the dinner. Sometimes, dreams do come true. :smile:

13 Likes

Your and your partner’s happy faces said it all. Thank you for sharing this transporting meal.

4 Likes

Wow! Love the way your food memories were brought to life by this meal. Some people really have magic in their hands when it comes to cooking.

3 Likes

What a feast!

This made me laugh — my grandmother used to carry her favorite crusty bread in her purse to any fancy restaurant meal her children “imposed” on her (especially Chinese, which was her favorite), because how else would you “get” all the gravy?

Taste memory is a magical thing. So happy for you that this brought back so many.

3 Likes

That’s Sharon Ann’s husband, who runs the supper club with her. :grin:

2 Likes

Wow - what an incredible experience!

1 Like

So much pork for a Muslim-majority country! This must be unusual.

1 Like

No, because although Malaysia has a 60% Muslim population, the other 40%, with mainly Indian and Chinese minorities, are Christians, Buddhists, Taoists and Hindus.

Babas & Nyonya or Straits Chinese are mainly Christians or Taoists.

Traditionally, Nyonya cuisine is rather pork-heavy.

1 Like