[Kuala Lumpur] Nyonya lunch at Precious Old China, Central Market

We wanted to try Nyonya cuisine before leaving KL. I read that it was a labour intensive cooking that you wouldn’t be able to find in street food. After a few research, it seemed to me that Precious Old China was recommended. We would like to see also the Central Market building.

The place was a bit of travelling back to the past colonial decoration and Chinese furnitures.

Pie tee / Top Hats - Crispy hat shaped cones made of rice flour and filled with minced chicken sweet turnip and carrot , served with chilli sauce

Belachan Puck Paku - Jungle fern stir fried with spicy shrimp paste or garlic - the fern was a bit hard, when compared to the younger ferns we had in Kuching.

Nyonya Belachan Fried Rice, spicy chili paste fried, served with Nyonya fried chicken cucumber and Indian crackers. For us, the fried chicken was a bit too dried and hard, if not the dish was ok.

Nyonya Laksa, noodle cooked in spicy coconut gravy, Garnished with prawn squid chicken meat long beans, bean spouts, tofu puff and half a boiled egg.

Fried Asam Prawn - Prawns marinated in tamarind and sugar and stir-fried with a smoky flavour

We enjoyed the meal even with the few of errors pointed above. 115 RM for 2 including tea for 2.
When we saw this “machine” on the table, we were all laughing.

Precious Old China
Lot 2, Mezzanine Floor, Central Market,
Jalan Hang Kasturi, 50050 Kuala Lumpur

2 Likes

Actually I know a large bar in Tenerife that has similar machines on the tables. Much better than trying to get a real person to get the bill.

I’ve used those here in the US in some Korean restaurants, pretty useful. They don’t have the separate buttons for bill/call/water though, I guess those can potentially save an extra trip for your server.