[Kuala Lumpur] Modern-Indian cuisine at Nadodi

Nadodi has set a new benchmark in KL for modern Indian fine-dining with its “The 11 Mile Journey” menu degustation - taking diners through an amazing culinary journey spanning the South Indian cuisines from Kerala, Sri Lanka and Tamil Nadu.
Combining traditional spice blends & cooking techniques with molecular gastronomy & modern interpretations of old dishes, Nadodi’s inventiveness was a breath of fresh air in KL’s dining scene.

Started off with a couple of cocktails:
“Cocktail with No Name”, served in an egg-shaped vessel in a bird-nest. It consisted of gin steeped for 48-hours with truffles & basil.

“Madras Central” cocktail - vodka with slow-drip Indian coffee, topped with cream foam.

The waiter creating a foamy head for the cocktail by pouring the vodka-coffee mix from one decanter into another, the traditional Indian-style for preparing coffee.

Appetisers:

1. “Destroyed Staple” - traditional South Indian curd rice, transformed into a feathery-light rice wafer, topped with curd dust.

2. “Malayalee Trade” - pottu (rice cakes) in “brownie form”, topped with dots of coconut crème, pumpkin crème & carrot crème.

3. “Lactose-Free” - crisp “coconut milk” cones, filled with “kiribath” (Sri Lankan milk rice), sambol (Sri Lankan spiced fish-chilli relish) and chilli flakes.

Mains
4) “What Came First” - reimagined Chicken 65, served as a pulverised chicken skin crisp, in Chennai street-style scrambled egg or “Kalaki”, deconstructed as a spiced egg mousse.

1. “Fishing the Backwaters” - a tribute to God’s Own Country, Kerala - spiced white fish, topped with shards of chilli-coriander-fennel meringue.

1. “Out of the Shell” - spicy Chettinad-style curried scallops, topped with tamarind foam.

1. Soup course: Spiced lentils at the bottom of the bowl, to be topped with tomato broth.

Executive Chef, Johnson Ebenezer, personally prepared the tomato drip-broth, consisting of three types of tomatoes, together with herbs and spices.

“Monsoon Ritual” - recalls the Executive Chef’s childhood in Tamil Nadu whence a hearty, spiced tomato broth was served to children at the onset of the monsoon season, to stave off colds.

Each soup bowl bore a “lipstick mark” to indicate where the diner is encouraged to sip the soup.

1. Meat course: “Silence of Our Lamb” - lamb cooked sous-vide at 68 deg Celsius for 48 hours, served on a curried base, with fennel-coriander crumbs.

2. The rice course: The biryani rice was served in 3-tiered vessels resembling what we thought was the Death Star from Star Wars!

Top tier contained a carrot-onion raita, topped with a yoghurt-curd globe.

Prick the globe to release the yoghurt-curd sauce - it’s El Bulli’s molecular gastronomy meets South Indian culinary tradition.

The middle tier contained the fragrant biryani, which was cooked using a varietal of imported South Indian short-grained aromatic “seeraga samba” rice known as “parakkum sittu”, together with Malaysian organic “kampong” chicken.

The bottom tier has a Patchadi - grilled aubergine, topped with Demerara sugar, served atop a spiced puree of hazelnut-cashewnut-almond paste.

Desserts:

1. “Kandy Tea Story” - Chamomile macaron, peppermint tea globe, and Earl Grey sponge cake.

2. “MInd of a Coconut” - the traditional warm Keralan dessert, Ada Pradhaman, is being reimagined as a cold ice-cream, flavoured with cane sugar, ice apples (made of sea coconut), topped with a Tulsi leaf.

Overall, a very satisfying meal, prepared by an enthusiastic kitchen team, led by a creative executive chef. A lot of potential in this place.

Address
Nadodi
1st Floor, The Mayang
183, Jalan Yap Kwan Seng
50450 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +603-21814334
Operating hours: 6pm till late (Mon-Sat)

7 Likes

Fantastic. I don’t think I’ve seen such refined prep and plating at an Indian place

1 Like

Wow, very fancy spot looks terrific. @klyeoh have you been to Gaggan?

1 Like

Same here, John. It’s one of the rare Indian places which places great emphasis on presentation. Fortunately, the kitchen team was also equally adept in producing fine tasting dishes to justify their high prices and refined ambience.

Sgee, I’d not been to Gaggan yet, actually, despite wanting to for so long. The reason being that, whenever I am in Bangkok, my time is usually all taken up catching up with old friends and relatives. And Thais themselves seem to have a (strange) aversion to Indian cuisine, so I can never convince any Thai acquaintance to dine at Gaggan with me.

Looks like I may have to make the time to dine there alone one of these days. Anyway, am back in Bangkok again tomorrow, so let’s see.

Adding Nadodi to list of places to check out during my upcoming trip.

Hope you make it to Gaggan, will be interesting to hear how the two compare.

1 Like

I’m currently in Bangkok and actually tried to reserve a table at Gaggan for next weekend, i.e. one week ahead. I got an email from them that the next available slot is on 20 May, whence I’ll already be in Japan. I don’t think I’ll be going to Gaggan anytime soon. :joy::joy:

1 Like

It becomes crazy trying to get a table at some places. We are currently on the waiting list for a recently awarded Michelin 1* star place. It is for anytime in December!

They are booked solid until the end of the year. I suspect we will nto get a call or, if we do, it’ll be last minute and we’ll be unable to drop everything and go (it’ll involve an overnight stay).

1 Like

That’s a shame, given their lofty ranking 5/20 isn’t too bad. Japan sounds fun… :+1:

1 Like