[Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] Sunday morning breakfast options at Win Heng Seng, Imbi Road

Met up with a KL friend for Sunday morning breakfast at downtown KL’s most popular kopitiam & my perennial favorite breakfast spot, π—ͺ𝗢𝗻 𝗛𝗲𝗻𝗴 𝗦𝗲𝗻𝗴 on Jalan Imbi.

I’d not been here since pre-COVID days, so it was hard to decide what to order. Decided to get all my favorites:

1. KL-style 𝘀𝘩𝘒𝘳 𝘬𝘰𝘒𝘺 𝘡𝘦𝘰𝘸 - darker than the Penang version, but not as gluggy nor sweet as the Singapore version. The rendition here at Win Heng Seng had only shrimps and beansprouts.

For comparison’s sake, this is the Penang-style char koay teow, the most popular type of char koay teow in Malaysia/Singapore. The dish would include shrimps, Chinese sausages, cockles, egg, beansprouts and chives. Little or no dark soy sauce - only light soy sauce is used.

Singapore-style char koay teow will have yellow Hokkien wheat noodles mixed with the flat rice koay teow noodles. The dish tends to be darker (more use of dark soy sauce) than the Penang or KL versions, and gluggier. It’ll contain cockles, eggs and beansprouts.

1. KL-style minced pork noodles, accompanied by fish-and-pork dumplings in soup.

KL-style minced pork noodles - dry version, dressed in a combination of dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, pork lard and other secret condiments.

Fish-and-pork dumplings.

1. KL-style 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘦 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘯.

KL-style 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘦 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘯 stalls usually offer a selection of 𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘡𝘒𝘢 𝘧𝘢 items for customers to select, and have them with 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘦 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘯.

KL-style 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘦 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘯.

It’s been a while, but am glad that all the food items here still tasted pretty much the same as I’d remembered.

Address
Win Heng Seng
183, Jalan Imbi (Imbi Road), 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel: +6011-5752 9109
Operating hours: 6am to 3pm daily

10 Likes

A veritable feast of a Sunday breakfast, Peter.

My bowl of yoghurt, muesli and poached quince pales into insignificance in comparison. :grinning:

3 Likes

I must admit I went over the top with the ordering, John, but it’s been too long since I was back here in Kuala Lumpur.

3 Likes

Any leftovers? :yum:

Drooling over here :yum: :yum:

Scarily, very little. :joy:

I told myself to have a light breakfast, as I was to meet 3 other KL friends just three hours later at Entier French Dining for Masashi Horiuchi’s specially-arranged, blow-out, USD200 per head menu degustation with wine pairing lunch!

Alas, I lost all self-control the moment I stepped into Win Heng Seng. :joy:

6 Likes

Embrace the greed, mate, embrace the greed.

1 Like

:joy: :joy: :joy:

BTW, HO seems to be doing some re-organizing of its database - my old posts are re-appearing upfront though I’d not done anything to them.

4 Likes

That looks great!
The Penang-style Char Koay Teow, one of my Favorites
Hope to get to Malaysia some day.

1 Like