[Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] South Indian Muslim fare from Original Penang Kayu Nasi Kandar

Despite its name, ๐—ข๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜‚ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ did NOT originate from the northern state of Penang, but is a homegrown Kuala Lumpur brand in its own right.

The owner of ๐—ข๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜‚ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ, Burhan Mohamed, said that his grandfather came to Penang from Ramnad district, Tamil Nadu, in the 1940s.

After learning the trade from his family, Burhanโ€™s father, Mohamed, left Penang in 1968 to seek greener pastures in Kuala Lumpur, where he initially started work as an itinerant mee goreng seller in Jalan Kilang and Section 8 in Petaling Jaya.

Burhan started helping his father, first from a pushcart, then a stall inside Seaview Restaurant in PJ Section 20 from 1970. When they were at Seaview, they decided to switch to selling nasi kandar, which was more profitable.

Back then, Mohamedโ€™s stall did not have a name, but young Burhan had earned the nickname โ€œKayuโ€ (meaning โ€œwoodenโ€) from their customers, as he was rather slow and reticent. When Burhan took over the nasi kandar upon his fatherโ€™s retirement, he decided that his nickname was his โ€œlucky charmโ€, and decided to name his business ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜‚ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ.

Burhan then moved his business to Chow Yang in SS2 PJ in 1974, where he operated it under the name ๐—ข๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜‚ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ. He stayed there for 27 years, building a name for himself, before buying the corner shophouse near Chow Yang. This set of premises was to become ๐—ข๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜‚ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟโ€™s main branch today, in a nationwide chain which saw even a branch in the state of Penang itself, 300 km to the north.

We had our breakfast this morning at the main outlet in SS2:
:small_orange_diamond: Roti canai with dhal curry - very good roti canai and the dhal curry was more-rish, with chunks of potatoes, carrot & eggplant. Mildly-spiced but very aromatic.

:small_orange_diamond: Rava thosai - this crispy semolina-rice flour crepe, lightly spiced and studded with finely-chopped carrot, onions, curry leaves & green chilis, is a house specialty at ๐—ข๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜‚ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ.

:small_orange_diamond: Idiyappam with chicken curry - moist rice vermicelli, served with curried chicken as per our order.

Counter for preparing roti canai, thosai and other griddle-cooked hot breakfast items upon order.

The obligatory nasi kandar service counter - rice with a selection of curries seemed too heavy for breakfast: I was raring to try its signature breakfast offerings, but still decided to skipped this.

The brightly-lit and ever-busy premises.

Address
Original Penang Kayu Nasi Kandar
No. 64, Jalan SS2/10, 47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.
Tel: +603 7876 4767
Opening hours: 24 hours

8 Likes

So, I told an 85-year-old KL aunt about my breakfast at ๐—ข๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ด๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—น ๐—ฃ๐—ฒ๐—ป๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐˜†๐˜‚ ๐—ก๐—ฎ๐˜€๐—ถ ๐—ž๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฑ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ, and my aunt immediately wanted to go there for supper on the very same day!

Anyhoo, itโ€™s a 24-hour eatery, so here we were, 10.30pm and we ordered my auntโ€™s favourite, Roti Tisu, an insanely crisp, buttery, delicious, wafer-thin and super-crisp paratha, drizzled with sweetened condensed milk.

The waiter came bearing it like a bazooka. I gasped. My aunt brought along her maid, who usually helped her finish the Roti Tisu - they exchanged conspiratorial glances, they knew that they could finish one in barely a few minutes. :smile:

The rest of us made do with the โ€œnormal-sizedโ€ roti canai and rava thosai - I essentially repeated my breakfast for supper!

9 Likes

If I hadnโ€™t read your note, I would have assumed that was a paper dosa

2 Likes

Come to think of it, It did look like a paper dosa! :smile:

But itโ€™s of the same dough as for Malaysian roti canai (very similar to Keralan paratha), except that itโ€™s not folded/multi-layered.

1 Like

Iโ€™ve never seen anything like that! Did your aunt and her maid finish it?! :grinning:

Is this Word just a regional variation of the word โ€œDosaโ€?
And that Chicken Curry with the Iddlyappam looks good!

Oh yes! The plate was cleaned out. :smile:

1 Like

Yes, itโ€™s the Tamil version of the word. Most so-called โ€œIndianโ€ terms in Malaysia and Singapore are actually Tamil ones, since the Tamil people are one of the pioneers who built our countries, and also constitute the third largest ethnic group in Malaysia and Singapore.

In Singapore, Tamil is also one of the countryโ€™s four official languages, besides English, Mandarin and Malay.

In Malaysia, there are Tamil elementary schools, besides the national ones using Malay and English as languages of instruction.

2 Likes

As always a wealth of Information.
I love Singapore and knowing more about its History.
Thank you.

1 Like