[Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia] Ipoh-style chee cheong fun at Petaling Street, Chinatown

Another of my favorite breakfast spots in Kuala Lumpur: 𝗬𝗼𝗼𝗢 π—žπ—²π—² on Petaling Street, Chinatown, is well-known for its Ipoh-style 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘦 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘧𝘢𝘯 with 𝘩𝘰π˜ͺ 𝘴π˜ͺ𝘯 (fermented red bean paste) sauce, and 𝘀𝘩𝘦𝘦 𝘀𝘩𝘢𝘱 𝘀𝘩𝘰𝘬 (pig’s intestines rice porridge).

1. KL has two variants of chee cheong fun which is unique to the city and not found anywhere else in Malaysia. One is the KL-style with brown soy bean sauce & red chili paste. This type is usually accompanied by a separate plate of yong tau fu items - such as at this stall at Win Heng Seng.

The other, distinctively different type of Ipoh-style chee cheong fun can be found in Chinatown, and served at outlets like Yooi Kee (Est. 1943) and Hon Kee (Est. 1949).

I absolutely adore this type of chee cheong fun as it’s essentially only steamed rolls of rice noodles slathered with a red-hued hoi sin sauce which gives a super-umami hit, topped with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds. That’s all. But once you start eating, you simply cannot stop till you’ve finished off every molecule of food on your plate - that, I can assure you. :joy:

Like Hon Kee, its close rival nearby, Yooi Kee also offers β€œchee chup chok” - pig’s intestines rice porridge (and a plethora of other types of rice porridge: with pork, century egg, raw fish fillets, etc.). I chose only the one with delicious, tasty, crisp-fried morsels of pig’s intestines.

The spartan street-side eatery in Chinatown, with the 118-storey Merdeka 118 tower, the world’s second-tallest skyscraper in the background.

Rival Hon Kee is located right next to Yooi Kee and features the same selection of dishes.

I’ve marked the exact location of Yooi Kee with an β€œX” here:

Address
Yooi Kee Chee Cheong Fun & Porridge
40, Jalan Hang Lekir (intersection with Jalan Petaling), Chinatown, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Tel: +6013-678 4788
Operating hours: 6.30am to 3pm Mon-Tue, Thu -Sun. Closed on Wednesdays.

10 Likes

Have never seen this anywhere, let alone tried this. I would love it!!

1 Like

Wow!! Brings back fond memory!!
I used to eat tons of these ’ Cheung Fun ’ and ’ Rice congee with Gingko Nuts , Tangerine peels and Yuba skin ’ for breakfast when I was a kid growing up in Hong Kong. However, I never did go overboard with the sauces like your photos!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

A Cantonese classic. Penang has a better-tasting one here:

The KL Cantonese calls the dish β€œchee chup chok”, basically translates to β€œpig’s parts porridge”, whereas the Penang Cantonese folks call it β€œchee cheong chok”, i.e. β€œpig’s intestines porridge” - but the renditions in both cities are the same: the flavored rice porridge will have pig’s intestines, pork, liver, etc.

1 Like

The heavy use of sauces is actually a β€œMalaysian” thing (not even Singapore does it) - every other food item is sloshed with copious amounts of gravy. You should see the standard β€œnasi kandar”, β€œroti canai”, even Malay burgers with gravy. Basically swimming in sauces.

4 Likes