[Kuala Lumpur] Japanese high-tea at Nobu, KLCC

Nobu Kuala Lumpur, perched on the 56th floor of the Petronas Tower 3, introduced the “Japanese high-tea” late last year - a set of savouries & sweets to serve two, with killer views over Kuala Lumpur’s central business district and beyond.

We were there for tea last Sunday afternoon - the set was well-presented, but had lesser variety than expected. The savouries tray:

1. Soft-shell crab karaage

1. Nobu tacos, with lobster & scallops.

1. Kazunoko (herring roe), topped with bonito shavings

1. Toro tartare, with caviar.

1. Gyoza

The sweet tray, served after the savouries:

1. Almond financier, served in a teacup, covered with a chocolate “lid”. A hot sauce is poured, melting the chocolate lid, filling the cup & soaking into the cake below:

1. Matcha green tea cake, topped with Azuki bean paste.

1. Creamy miso mousse with chocolate cake

DSC01935

1. Yuzu mille-feuille

Address
Nobu Kuala Lumpur
Level 56, Menara 3 Petronas, Persiaran KLCC
Kuala Lumpur City Centre, 50088 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603-2164 5084
Opening hours
Mon-Fri 12noon - 2pm (lunch), 6pm-10.30pm (dinner)
Sat & Sun 1pm-4pm (Hi-tea), 6pm-10.30pm (dinner)

2 Likes

Looks good, how about the taste?

Nobu’s food has a certain standard, not 100% authentic Japanese (most food items tend to be sweeter, like the food in American-based Japanese restaurants) but of sufficiently good quality to set it above the likes of, say, Benihana.

I enjoyed the Japanese high-tea - beautiful ambience, and very nice views, but it’s not somewhere which I’d go to if I want to have real Japanese.

1 Like

I have to respectfully disagree about Peter’s comment about Japanese restaurants in the US. If you are referring to Japanese restaurants in US (especially LA where I live) that are owned and run by Japanese, they offer comparable food quality to Japan. If you are referring to Benihana type restaurants, I do not consider them as Japanese. Same with any “Japanese” restaurant owns and operated by say Koreans, Chinese etc…

Peter, if you are ever in the LA area, please let me know. I will take you to some Japanese restaurants that you will be most impressed.

1 Like