[Kuala Lumpur] Fried "chee cheong fun" from Bangsar Village Farmers' Market

I guess there’s a first time for everything - tried fried chee cheong fun at the Bangsar weekend farmer’s market. “Chee cheong fun” are fat, wide rolls of steamed rice noodles, usually served with slatherings of “hoi sin” sauce and, depending on where you are: prawn paste (in Penang), savoury beansauce (Ipoh), sweet bean sauce (Kuala Lumpur), spicy chilli paste (Singapore) or sesame paste (Hong Kong).

This Sunday, I came across another way to serve “chee cheong fun”: fry it Chaozhou-style with lots of
beansprouts, chives, fresh cockles and egg. The noodles were seared over high heat in vegetable oil, flavoured with garlic, both dark and light soy-sauce, before the other ingredients were chucked in. It’s served hot, topped with a fried egg. Sometimes, the simplest fare is the tastiest.

Price: RM7 (US$1.70)
Where: Bangsar Village Sunday Farmers’ Market, Jalan Telawi, Bangsar.
When: 3pm till 8pm, every Sunday

Another stall which caught my eye at the farmers’ market was one selling all sorts of Cantonese dim sum - the more rustic sort which one usually finds in neighbourhood eateries and hawker centres in Singapore and Malaysia, not the HK-style yum cha restaurants. Not sure about the taste, but will try next time. The dim sum goes for MYR1 (US$0.25) each.

4 Likes

Can you actually buy just one piece?

I am curious what temperature these dimsum will be served at. Can’t oversteam, but then they can get cold quickly away from the steam

I’d say their quality will deteriorate over time, so the best time to buy them will probably be when the stall opens around 4pm. These dim sum are rather robust, rustic versions of their delicate restaurant counterparts - more additives/flour/etc. than actual meats or shrimps.

They do remind me of old-fashioned dim sum which coolies or blue-collar labourers in Singapore used to have for their breakfasts back in the 60s & 70s - places like Nam Tong in Singapore Chinatown opens at 4am, as these coolies need their sustenance before their work-day starts at 5.30am to 6am.

I’m sure you remember the time in the not-too-distant past when dim sum is a breakfast food - most dim sum spots close down by 10-11am, unlike today where people have it for lunch. In London Chinatown, they even serve dim sum for dinner!