Kuala Lumpur food trip

Planning for a short getaway to KL in December. 3-4N, just two of us. Staying at Parkroyal. Only been to KL once and that was more than 10 years ago. Have also been reading up articles written by @klyeoh in here and CH.

No food restrictions and we are fine with dining at back alleys and long queues. Language - any issue if we couldn’t speak Malay at Malay and Indian stalls? Not too worried with Chinese stalls, able to speak Cantonese.

Dishes that we intend to try:

1. Bak kut teh - worth to travel all the way to Klang? Or is there any difference between KL style and Klang? The husband is hoping to try a different style from the usual peppery ones we could get in Singapore. Am looking at Seng Huat since the location is more easily accessible.
  2. Nasi lemak - Nasi Lemak Tanglin? How about Wanjo Kampung Baru? Am just looking at the number of Google reviews. :joy:
  3. Nasi kandar (or nasi campur) - Sambal Hijau?
  4. Hokkien mee - Kim Lian Kee or outskirts at Ahwa?
  5. Claypot rice - Heun Kee
  6. Beef noodles - Lai Foong or Soong Kee or Yang Kee at OUG?
  7. Roti Canai - Mansion Tea Stall
  8. Curry mee - Alley Curry Mee stall at OUG
  9. Biryani - any good mutton biryani place?
  10. Wantan mee - Koon Kee. More suggestions on WTM places? It’s one of the husband’s favorite foods, SG and in HK too.
  11. Roasts - any good roast stall to check out?
  12. Hainanese pork chops - Yut Kee or Sin Kee
  13. Hainanese coffeeshop - Ho Kow or Ah Weng Koh
  14. Snacks or desserts
  15. Dim sum - any alternatives to Ful Lai? We are alright with expensive ones as well.

Places that we probably would go (mainly for food):

• Pudu (day) + Wai Sek Kai (night)
  • Petaling Street Market
  • Jalan Alor Night Food Court - anything nice from this place or just a tourist trap?
  • OUG (day)

Any other suggestions are welcome too. Thanks for reading!

3 Likes

Good to hear from you, thwysg. No problem at all ordering in English at Malay or Indian places. I’m currently in the UK, returning to Penang this weekend - I’ll reply to you in detail on where to eat after this weekend.

1 Like
  • BKT - It’s a hike from the Parkroyal, however if your hubs is keen on a superlative BKT experience. It’s worth a trip to Klang. There are several hardcore purist OG no-frills joints - meat, soup, rice and nothing else. The one I go to opens at 6am and is typically sold out by 8am. For the purist locations it’s de rigueur to see the regular clientele showing up with their own heirloom clay teapots & cups and best teas to pair with their meal.
    https://my.openrice.com/en/klangvalley/article/10-best-bak-kut-teh-in-klang-a498

• Nasi Lemak - I’m partial to Village Park. Get the nasi lemak + fried chicken

• Nasi Campur - Sambal Hijau is literally my favorite place to dine in KL. First meal off the plane. Best to go during lunch.

• Hokkien Mee - Ahwa is a good choice, nice smokiness (some find it a tad too smoky). Loads of lard. You’ll need some strong tea to go along with it. Lian Bee in KL is good too, however it’s located in a dimly lit alley - another place to BYOB.

Couple of other suggestions from my recent trip

• Restaurant “Kow Siew” :joy: in Pandan Indah - for “Sang Har” (freshwater prawn) noodles. Get an order of the hor fun noodles too. Excellent wok hei.

• Willy’s Satay (Kajang) - not the most hygenic hawker center. Pro-tip: bring your own beverages… Excellent satay though.

2 Likes

BKT - I’ll leave it to the husband to choose then. Will be taking Grab for places not within reach.

Village Park - Saw some pictures and reviews on Village Park. Looks good. Have you tried its daging rendang and lontong? Doesn’t seem to sell kambing rendang. Is it alright to visit on a weekday morning, say 8-9am? Or would we hit the morning office crowd and not all the dishes are out yet?

Ahwa - Lots of lard? That sounds yummy!

Kow Siew Sang Har Mee - the reviews seem mixed. Inconsistency by the chef. Right down to his mood on that day. :sweat_smile:

Willy Satay - Looks good. Shall see if the husband would be keen.

I’ll add Yong Tau Foo under the list as well. Thinking either Foong Foong, Madras Lane or Yap Hup Kee.

Any recommendations on Peranakan food? Looking for ayam buah keluak. The husband’s craving again. :joy:

• Bak kut teh - worth to travel all the way to Klang? Or is there any difference between KL style and Klang? The husband is hoping to try a different style from the usual peppery ones we could get in Singapore. Am looking at Seng Huat since the location is more easily accessible.
    Main difference is that KL bak kut teh is soupy, whereas Klang ones are thicker, more stew-like. Mo Sang Kor or Kee Heong are two other good options if you’re taking that long drive to Klang.
    If you do decide to stay in KL, try Sun Fong at Medan Imbi, or Big Mouth in Chinatown

• Nasi lemak - Nasi Lemak Tanglin? How about Wanjo Kampung Baru? Am just looking at the number of Google reviews. :joy:
    Both are good - Wanjo at Kampung Baru allows you to soak in the atmosphere of a Malay settlement. Nasi Lemak Tanglin is more of a destination dining place.

• Nasi kandar (or nasi campur) - Sambal Hijau? Definitely

• Hokkien mee - Kim Lian Kee or outskirts at Ahwa? Both are good. Ahwa has been erratic of late.

• Claypot rice - Heun Kee Yes, it’s the best for this dish in KL

• Beef noodles - Lai Foong or Soong Kee or Yang Kee at OUG? All are good. I simply love Soong Kee personally.

• Roti Canai - Mansion Tea Stall No comments, as I don’t have any specific roti canai stall in KL which I always go for

• Curry mee - Alley Curry Mee stall at OUG No, go to Madras Lane in Chinatown area instead - there are 3 competing curry mee stalls side-by-side, and they are all pretty good

• Biryani - any good mutton biryani place? Try Fierce Curry House on Jalan Kemuja, walking distance (5 minutes) from Bangsar LRT station

• Wantan mee - Koon Kee. More suggestions on WTM places? It’s one of the husband’s favorite foods, SG and in HK too. My personal favourite is Ho Weng Kee at Hutong, Isetan the Japan Store. Knocks Koon Kee for dead, IMO

• Roasts - any good roast stall to check out?

• Hainanese pork chops - Yut Kee or Sin Kee Definitely Sin Kee. Yut Kee’s food tastes simply awful these days - still the same owners, but I think the old chefs are gone

• Hainanese coffeeshop - Ho Kow or Ah Weng Koh Ho Kow, but it’s got a new premise that is perpetually inundated. Go early.

• Snacks or desserts Traditional Malay kuihs - go to La Cucur in Suria KLCC, or try Nyonya Colours for a richer Nyonya version of the same types of kuihs.

• Dim sum - any alternatives to Ful Lai? We are alright with expensive ones as well. Ming Room at Bangsar Shopping Centre, or its sister outlet, Han Room at the Gardens Mall in Mid-Valley

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter!

Press Room
“Food is a pretty good prism through which to view humanity.”

― Jonathan Gold