Planning for a short getaway to KL in December. 3-4N, just two of us. Staying at Parkroyal. Only been to KL once and that was more than 10 years ago. Have also been reading up articles written by @klyeoh in here and CH.
No food restrictions and we are fine with dining at back alleys and long queues. Language - any issue if we couldn’t speak Malay at Malay and Indian stalls? Not too worried with Chinese stalls, able to speak Cantonese.
Dishes that we intend to try:
- Bak kut teh - worth to travel all the way to Klang? Or is there any difference between KL style and Klang? The husband is hoping to try a different style from the usual peppery ones we could get in Singapore. Am looking at Seng Huat since the location is more easily accessible.
- Nasi lemak - Nasi Lemak Tanglin? How about Wanjo Kampung Baru? Am just looking at the number of Google reviews.
- Nasi kandar (or nasi campur) - Sambal Hijau?
- Hokkien mee - Kim Lian Kee or outskirts at Ahwa?
- Claypot rice - Heun Kee
- Beef noodles - Lai Foong or Soong Kee or Yang Kee at OUG?
- Roti Canai - Mansion Tea Stall
- Curry mee - Alley Curry Mee stall at OUG
- Biryani - any good mutton biryani place?
- Wantan mee - Koon Kee. More suggestions on WTM places? It’s one of the husband’s favorite foods, SG and in HK too.
- Roasts - any good roast stall to check out?
- Hainanese pork chops - Yut Kee or Sin Kee
- Hainanese coffeeshop - Ho Kow or Ah Weng Koh
- Snacks or desserts
- Dim sum - any alternatives to Ful Lai? We are alright with expensive ones as well.
Places that we probably would go (mainly for food):
- Pudu (day) + Wai Sek Kai (night)
- Petaling Street Market
- Jalan Alor Night Food Court - anything nice from this place or just a tourist trap?
- OUG (day)
Any other suggestions are welcome too. Thanks for reading!