[Kuala Lumpur] Curry Mee in a back-lane at Overseas Union Garden

I first heard about this curry mee stall in a back-lane from a Singaporean friend who visited Kuala Lumpur more than 10 years ago. Back then, I couldn’t quite fathom the idea of dining in a small back-lane at an incredibly popular eatery which serves curry noodles with poached chicken, “char-siew” (BBQ pork), tofu puffs and fishballs - it was something a Singaporean can never imagine: we don’t have anything close to this back home - no, not even in Geylang.

However, after the past 5 years of working/residing in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia and my constant food forays up north to Ipoh (where Ipoh-style curry mee often comes with “char-siew”, crispy-skinned “siew yoke”/roast pork besides poached chicken & boiled shrimps, have changed my mind-set completely. Couple that with the countless back-lane eateries I’d been to in Kuala Lumpur (think Madras Lane, Jalan Tun HS Lee, Wai Sek Kai un Pudu, etc., etc.), and there you have it. So, coming here for breakfast this morning seemed so very natural for me now. And the curry mee? Perfect, in every way - in fact, it tasted a class above the more famous Ah Loy Curry Mee a mere stone’s throw away.

Curry mee with yellow Hokkien noodles and beansprouts, garnished with poached chicken, slivers of “char siew” (BBQ pork), tofu puffs and fishballs. The curry is piquant - with a hint of Indian-style curry spices and curry leaves.

Foamy iced tea - perfect to douse the heat on one’s palate from the delicious bowl of curry mee.

This curry mee stall is in a small back-lane between TMC Kopitiam and OUG Lucky Restaurant along Jalan Hujan Emas 4 in Overseas Union Garden.

2 Likes