Kriti Kitchen - Greek/Cretan - Houston

I happened upon this place recently. I thought I had posted about it in one of the news threads but nothing comes up. It’s on Bissonnet @ Wesleyan, at the end of a big strip center with a thriving Randall’s, right on the edge of West U.

Kriti is the Greek pronunciation of Crete, the largest Greek Island. The chef’s family is from Chania, on the northwest coast. She’s worked at a 3 Michelin starred resto in Hong Kong and spent 8 years at Pondicheri before becoming a private chef and then opening her restaurant.

The place is small, there is a small simple dining area, but a lot of the business is to-go, not just from the restaurant menu but from freezer displays along the wall. This was my intention when I went in - the freezers were more than half empty when I was there in mid afternoon. I picked up a Lentil Stifado (stew) and the Moussaka.

Lentil Stifado, frozen in the pan (8X6, $12) and a little more than 1/4 in the bowl.

Lentil, onion, carrot, rosemary, carob, tomato, black pepper, olive oil, cinnamon, salt. Labeled Vegan, gluten free.

Excellent.

Moussaka just out of the oven (frozen items are completely cooked, you just have to warm them up. I zapped my portion of the stifado). $20 for the 8X6 pan. That’s about a third of it on the plate.

The lentils were excellent but the Moussaka completely surpassed any expectations. It won’t last long and I’ll be back for more.

Double size portions are available (twice the price) but I think you have to request those in advance.

Kriti Kitchen

2 Likes

Went to a birthday dinner there this month! Our group had the whole dining room, may be 12 of us. It was all very good, I think there were four or so courses. I enjoyed it very much.

2 Likes