Kraft Marshmallow Bits

Has anyone used these? I was thinking about adding marshmallows to a quick bread and was pretty sure they’d melt out, leaving ugly holes and traces of goo. I saw these online and figured that they might be formulated for baking. What scares me is the use of the word “crunchy” in the description. I’m no marshmallow fan, but I never thought marshmallows should be crunchy. Are these like the marshmallows in cereal that aren’t all that marshmallow-like?

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/products/jet-puffed-mallow-bits-vanilla--838.aspx

I have never seen those, but recently learned the hard way that when the rice krispie treat recipe says to use fresh marshmallows, it’s NOT just a ploy to make you buy a new bag. I had a bag that was over a year old, but figured that since the ingredients are barely food, stale couldn’t mean much. Well, they refused to melt. I was using virgin coconut oil rather than butter. The pot was on the stove so long that the oil turned brown, but the marshmallows were still hard. I tried in vain to mash them, then added water, thinking a full boil would melt the marshies and evaporate the water. No dice. So, I can see where they could make marshmallow bits that are hard.

1 Like

Crunchy = stale = indestructible

The manufacturer describes the product as crunchy. Are you saying that Kraft is telling the user that the product ships already stale? The bits may totally suck, but I kind of doubt that they leave the plant stale.

1 Like

They look like the kind that in packages of hot cocoa mix (which are similar to the ones in cereal).

An apparent failed attempt at wit
stranger things have happened though

Oh! I know exactly what these are…! They are very tiny freeze dried marshmellows- exacty like what is in packets of hot chocolate “with marshmellows”
I would not use for baking- i think they would soften yet are so tiny that you likey wont notice what they are in the final product.

Marshmellows are baked into cookies with some frequency, i would give it a try using the small regular marshmellows “jet puffed mini” size