Korea Eats. Seoul to Busan.

Thanks!! Added to our lookout to do list.

Had Beef Tartare, raw Beef Liver and Tripe for breakfast yesterday. Gruesome for some, yummy for us.

We’re liking Korean eats way more than anticipated. Already talking about a return trip. Must add Jeju next time.

1 Like

Yes the seafood market by the port is excellent. The fish you are looking for is ‘galchi’. 갈치

Also known as hairtail.

Get it grilled or in a braised dish (jorim).

My wife is also obsessed with the sea cucumber dishes there. It’s literally the only thing on the planet that I don’t eat :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks fine the place. I remember sometimes being transported to some doubtful sister places… :smirk:

What is this?

Menu calls it Egg Drop Soup. Unless any eds I’ve ever had.

It your basic Steamed Egg. Or Chawanmushi in Japanese, w/o any embellishments.

Thanks. I did a search on Google, it’s called Gyeran jjim, closer to an egg souffle.

2 Likes

Jagalchi Seafood Market in Busan.

The most incredible Temple to Seafood I’ve ever had the fortune to experience. Please excuse the hyperbole.

Must be over 100? 200? Venders. The seafood here are the brightest, freshest specimens I’ve ever seen.

My nieces really wanted Octopi. Not for the novelty factor, because they REALLY loved eating these critters. These were lively and playing tug-o-war with our plate, our chopsticks and tongue. Lightly accented this time, perfect.

BIL handpicked these prawns. So fresh, the were almost translucent. The heads had globs of liver and tomalley that rivaled the tails for taste. Raw was better than the cooked.

Finally got to try the “Asian Scallops”. Nice, but not better than the traditional Scallop, Abalone or Clam.

@Nathan_Jones Thanks for the rec. Hairtail is juicy and succulent. I want a meal with just the hairtail fish, rice and a vegetable. My idea of a simple perfect meal!

Got our Squid. We followed our server’s suggestion and had it lightly boiled and it was good. Methinks I’d rather have it just plain o’ sashimi’d, next time.

Finished the meal with a Fish Head and (what we call) Hot Pot Vegetable Soup.

Our hotel is a mere 15 minute walk to this Warehouse of Seafood. I’ll be more than surprised if we don’t eat here at least once a day during our 4 day Busan leg. So much for touristing to Asia for the cheap eats. sigh

4 Likes

I was in Busan once and having dinner with 5-6 of my Korean colleagues - when a plate of these octopus tentacles arrived, they looked doubtfully at the non-moving tentacles which only squirmed lethargically when poked with chopsticks. A couple of my Korean colleagues told me, “Don’t eat them - they are not fresh”. :joy:

P.S. - We had our dish promptly replaced with one full of waving tentacles.

2 Likes

This thread is too much. I’m going to sleep this off for a day :smile: (booking flight now)

2 Likes

For the uninitiated - the octopus is raw? Or live?

I guess I’ve never encountered it this way… yet…

Both!! :slight_smile:

Totally delighted and surprised my two young ABC (American Born Chinese) nieces just LOVE the octopus.

Learn something everyday.

Minor googling:
“Though the octopus is dead, the suction cups on its tentacles are still functional. And strong. I tried to pick up a tentacle with my chopsticks and it nearly took the plate with it. A few deaths by choking are still reported each year from the tentacles latching on to people’s throats, so be sure to chew your food like your life depended on it.”

Octopus, Chicken and Cup Ramen.

2 Likes

See these venders everywhere dispensing ice cream, yogurt, drinks, what have you.

Motorized Ice Boxes on Wheels!!!

I WANT one! I can see myself tooling up to my campsite with enough ‘vittles for the entire camp. Or take to Costco and go to town!

2 Likes

Seafood Boil in Daegu, korea’s third largest city. We’ve enjoyed Busan and Daegu, heading back to Seoul for our final three days.

We happened to walk past this Izakaya-like place. The live tanks in front pulled us in. You can tell this is a happenening restaurant by the thoughtfully provided plastic stools for the “wait “.

Our dinner set started with an Omelet Roll and a Pancake/Crepe, with some simple Banchan.

A bountiful harvest of Prawns, Scallops, Abalone, Mussels, Clams swimming in a broth with a Whole Chicken and some Hard Boiled Eggs.

The server fishes out the goodies and cuts into easy to eat morsels the Korean way, with scissors. :slight_smile: Bites displayed on two large Scallop shells.

Fresh Noodles and Mandu (dumplings) finished in the Seafood Chicken broth.

~ USD$70 for live seafood dinner for six, including Soju, Beer, taxes and service. QPR off the charts.

6 Likes

Armed and loaded for our 12hr flight back to SFO. We never bitch about inflight food. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Gontran Cherrier - great pastries!

1 Like

Great preparation! Can you bring this on the plane?!

Thanks so much for bringing us along on your trip. I’ve really enjoyed your posts.

1 Like

Great Prep? :slight_smile: My dw is the one who worries about starving on any flight (journey) over 3 hours . :slight_smile: In addition to what she “showed” me at the hotel pre-departure. In flight, she retreived a great Potato Sandwich, another Ham/Egg/Everything Sandwich, and various chips and snacks from her mysterious Black Travel Carry On Bag.

@digga

We never worry about bringing on solid food upon boarding. Passing through customs at destination is a different story and may present a hiccup. :slight_smile:

We sometimes forget about “leftovers” when we deplane at destination, but have not been strip searched in recent memory. Many, many moons ago, some overzealous customs dude in HKG flagged me for a packet (sashet) of salad dressing.

Oh, the horror!!! Ranch dressing has egg or pseudo egg as an ingredient!!!

@digga thanks for your note of enjoyment. Its fun sharing with like-minded folks.

2 Likes

Per @klyeoh Peter’s suggestion, I’ll start a new thread when addressing some especially interesting place. We had a fun time at the Tongin Market in Seoul.

Korea: Seoul Tongin Market

2 Likes