Knife talk

Nobody sets obviously the standards but since you so vehemently defended that Marco isn’t thinking as a home cook and that his recipe is not doable for home cooks (definitely wrong) it is normal to push back if you completely don’t agree with this assessment

1 Like

Hi honkman,

Peace I originally began commenting on an earlier video only about knife skills, and expanded in response to a second “counter-example” of knife skills by damiano.

I still feel that regarding Marco as a home cook is quite a stretch.

Ok. Do you have something personally against Mario? First, you stated he is not qualified as a home cook (not quite yet, you said). I am pretty sure he can cook at his own home. Second, are you now also suggesting Mario cannot teach in culinary school?

Why would you put him down this much? Basically, you are questioning if he has what it takes to teach in either professional or home cook environment.

I have to say… not only I agree your finer points. I don’t even understand your larger point.

Take a step back. There are many home cooks here, and many posters here have already expressed that they learned from Mario’s videos. You do not have the authority to override so many other home cooks – their own assessment of themselves. All you can say is that you don’t find Mario teaching is beneficial for you, and you alone. Please stop speaking for others. I really mean it best for you. You are digging into a hole deeper than you know.

You kept saying that Mario does not think like a home cook. Yet, I keep seeing one home cook after another disagreeing with you. So … who exactly does not think like an average home cook now?

3 Likes

Hi Chem,

I think Mario is a really great cook–above being a Chef I’ve already said that in my first reply to damiano.

So, it’s hard to say I’m down on him, no?

My reply was really to JustCharlie about knives–and the difference between a professional and home cook perspective.

Mario is not a home cook like me–nor should he be.

Maybe more a “superchef”? or an inspirational speaker?

That’s probably his best role in a culinary school–if he wants to work there.

On our original topic: do you agree that it’s better to refer to certain knives at home as “backups” rather than “beaters”?

I’ve developed, written, and taught, or still teach, at least 7 university classes, graduate and undergraduate. I’ve swum in the pedagogical pool. And I know the difference between a pedagogue and a pedant. Marco Pierre White is just fine with me.

Dr.Meekah

4 Likes

Hi Meekah,
]
Let’s get back on topic.

I doubt that Mario would, or should, ever consider teaching in a culinary school, which has nothing to do with this misen-mercer thread anyways.

It’s just my opinion that calling him a home cook is a “stretch”. You may not share that opinion.

Sorry, but now your are just paddling back and try to change some of your previous comments which were far beyond just “about knives”. And your always trying to “get back on topic” when it is obvious that pretty much everybody is disagreeing with you - and the whole discussion is on topic because, as CK said “You are digging into a hole deeper than you know”

1 Like

You are doing this again. Both (1) Mario does not think like a home cook and (2) Mario is not qualified to teach in a culinary school. You don’t think you are a bit harsh on him?

Again, ask yourself this before you keep digging yourself into a giant hole. First, are you qualified to speak for home cooks? Because apparently a lot of home cooks here disagreed with you. Second, do you also think you know more than Mario about the professional culinary schools?

Stick with what you know: yourself. Simply say you do not like Mario teaching style, and be done with it… Please do not try to overreach and speak for all the home cooks here because obviously it is drawing a lot of disagreements.

Yes, these are not about Misen and Mercer, but you started this off-topic discussion.

3 Likes

Hi honkman,

You’ve made some good points.

I think we’re done.

Hi Chem,

Thanks. I think we’ve all made our points.

Time to move on.

The question is not whether we have made our points. The question is whether we made them in a way all can understand.

3 Likes

Mario shared a straightforward technique everyone ought to try. It is a technique the world of skilled cooks has accepted that the rest of us ought to try. If you go slowly, it is a brilliantly easy way to make perfect brunoise onions. You do not have to zip through it. If a naysayer has a way to do it better, please share it.

BTW a Mercer can do it. So can a Misen.

3 Likes

I don’t think it is on you to decide when a discussion is donr

2 Likes

Hi honkman,

Just me. I’m done.

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I’m very process driven. Process leads to change and reorganization–repurposing, i call it.

From the beginning of my hobby, the targeted purpose was to cook at home within specific limits–and the process was to assemble the tools necessary to meet that target.

And have fun.

Right now, my hobby is more mature, and I’ve added some new elements involving technology and cultural fusion which has churned my “process,” and led me to do product reviews and evaluation.

I doubt that it will ever stop changing–but disciplined by process.

Hi Vecchiouomo,

I feel a clear cultural gap when watching Mario–and only watched it the first time because damiano posted it on his “cookware brands” thread–and his Youtube posts are almost always thoughtful and inspirational. Marco is an interesting guy to me–but I wasn’t especially interested in the knife brand mentioned.

I’m glad that you found it a recipe you might soon use–but I didn’t.

Even though he used a decent knife in this video, I was still not impressed by his technique.

Ray, how about you making a video of your technique ( not someone else) and demonstrate the proper technique.

2 Likes

Drop it, man. Just drop it for your own good. I don’t know why are you keep shooting yourself in the foot. You said you are done with this discussion, and then you immediately (unprovoked) bring this up. Why?

2 Likes

He will most likely have a better technique (as nearly all professional chefs) than you and me and everybody else on this board. In addition, not only in this part of the discussion you seem to put too much emphasis on knife techniques in the bigger picture of overall final dish quality. There are many, many steps in creating a great dish which are much more important than one’s knife skill.

Hey Ray,

I have to say, that I’ve made Piperade pretty much exactly like the great Marco Pierre White makes them in this video and I’m just an amateur home cook enthusiast.

I use an immersion blender to make the salsa´or my Kitcheaid mini chopper.

All the things he does in this video is pretty basic home kitchen level skills.

5 Likes