Kitchen emergency kit

Chinese burn ointment, Ching wan hung.
Amazing stuff, has saved me from bad sugar and deep fat burns.
Must get it on fast for best results, miraculous.
Always in cubbard in kitchen.

2 fire extinguishers. Stuff can go wrong real fast. If one fails you have a back up, or two people can put out the fire. Donā€™t ask me how I know this :confused:

2 Likes

MAKE SURE YOUR SMOKE/FIRE/CO2 DETECTORS ARE ALL WORKING!!!

Fire Extinguisher , just out side of kitchen, First aid kit under sink.
We actually had a bad fire in our kitchen, that started in the gas wall oven about 10 years ago, that totally destroyed the kitchen and caused smoke damage to everything else. Fortunately I was working from home that day, and was able to extinguish most of the fire with a 20lb unit. It started in the oven, when our housekeeper punctured the tin foil disposable pan, while cooking a roast. By the time the smoke an fire detectors went off the kitchen wall oven was totally engulfed in flame as well as the cabinets around itā€¦Fortunately no one was hurt. Our claim exceeded $125,000.

2 Likes

I suppose I scream for the hubs. Had a bad cut 20 years ago that we all seem to remember. Screaming worked, but it was apparently traumatic for the kids. And neither kids nor hubs as easy to find these days.

Making a kit.

1 Like

Third-degree burns are the worst possible kind of burn injury are really pretty gruesome. Iā€™ll spare everyone the (extremely) gory clinical definition, but you can find it easily enough with Google.

First-degree burns are pretty mild as burn injuries go, but the sort of very minor ā€œburnsā€ that people get in home kitchens, that usually donā€™t leave physical signs worse than redness that dissipates after hours or a day - donā€™t really rank on the ā€œdegreeā€ scale at all.

a bonfire in the backyard

For something like that, and assuming no little kids would be running around, Iā€™d probably just make sure a hose was handy and the water turned onā€¦ And if I thought any of my friends was mindless enough to actually stumble into an actual real life ā€œbig 'ol fire on the groundā€ no matter how drunk they got, Iā€™d probably try to avoid inviting them in the first placeā€¦ Failing that, Iā€™d keep the hose close to hand and a close an eye on them. (And depending just how foolish they started acting, Iā€™m not sure I wouldnā€™t fire off the occasional ā€œwarning shotā€ā€¦:wink:)

In the kitchen, Iā€™ve always managed to do OK either plunging a burned body part into cold water ASAP, or wrapping a paper towel around a cut bad enough to actually drip blood, and then head to a bathroom to clean it up as the first step in to dealing with itā€¦

After the rain stopped, we got the fire pit going and enjoyed civilized fun in the yard with a group of friends and family. One of dozens and dozens. We have a modest outdoor kitchen setup.

I started the topic out of curiosity. Safety is primary, inside or out. This food forum is a rarity in that both experienced and newbie cooks, with a passionate approach to food preparation, would have both interesting and surprising perspectives on kitchen safety.

1 Like

The first thing that popped into my head when you started the thread was pantry items that serve as substitutes when you discover too late that you are out of an ingredient.

Then my mind went to the items I keep for hurricane season.

Lastly I thought of things on hand for actual accidents and kitchen dangers.

1 Like

Great examples, all.

Same. And a burn kit.

1 Like

A small fire extinguisher, boxes of baking soda and salt, a big squeeze bottle of Aubrey aloe vera gel in the refrigerator. The rest of the first aid stuff is close by in the bathroom.

1 Like

I thought this was going to be about food emergencies. :sweat_smile: For real emergencies, nothing. My house isnā€™t that big either, so most emergency supplies arenā€™t too far away.

1 Like