Kitchen "Duhs"

I have a microwave for small amounts. It’s been great for tempering all my colors of cocoa butter for decorating holiday chocolate, I just leave them in pint containers. For larger batches - I usually temper 3 or 4 lb at a time - I prefer the bain marie because I can let it hang out and melt for a while without needing much attention.

Even with microwave (low setting), I roughly chop up the chocolate. The operation needs to be stopped when most of the chocolate softens but there is still some solid pieces. Takes it out and stirs until smooth. I tried bain marie once or twice, it takes much longer time. I didn’t burnt chocolate yet. (but had burnt butter with beurre noisette in microwave!) - need to open and check the progress often.

1 Like

I’ve also been trying lower power for longer time, that seems to work.

My biggest DUH is under estimate time used in cooking especially with a new recipe. Of course the time indicated in a recipe is never correct (or if they are, it’s possible only for a pro). For normal nights, there is just husband complaining if we eat at 11pm. This become particularly a problem if I tries new recipes before a dinner party. I think we have meals starting around 10pm…

Me too, but not only, at times I need to change 2 times to get to the right size.

4 Likes

I find raw meat pretty disgusting, and one day at a restaurant supply store I saw a big box of those latex disposable gloves and realized I never have to touch raw meat with my bare hands again! :bulb:

1 Like

I use them when I’m working with butternut squash. That stuff is hard to get off!

I use them for hot peppers. I can tolerate quite a bit of heat in my food, but my dry and cracked hands are super sensitive. The big box of food-safe non-latex gloves from Costco has been a life saver.

2 Likes

that reminds me of my BIGGEST kitchen duh of all time, just last year - sticking my finger into the blade housing to remove some gunk while it was off but still plugged in, and then inadvertently squeezing the “on” button. OUCH. top of my left index finger still has no sensation.

Not what I wanted to hear. I feel your pain and still have hope my right index finger tip regains sensation. Still numb

1 Like

a few months ago i started feeling some twinges, pain, like maybe the nerves were trying to reattach? But no, nothing.

My mother had a set of those aluminum measuring spoons on a metal ring–and she kept them on the ring. So using one often meant getting the others dirty, etc.

It took me a while to realize that 1) I could take them off the ring, and 2) I could buy two or three sets so that if I needed to measure out 1 teaspoon of multiple things, I didn’t have to wash the spoon right away.

(In fairness, my mother rarely used measuring spoons.)

4 Likes

That’s funny, mine are still on the rings . . . . I’ll have to think how I feel about taking them off but totally makes sense.

Pretty sure I’d lose them if I took them off the ring. When using them, I dangle the set over a cup/glass/can, with the used and unused ones on opposite sides. When done, I can hold the clean ones in my fist while washing the others under the faucet.

2 Likes

I use gloves for many food uses. Meats, especially working with ground meat for meatballs or meatloaf, and raw chicken. Also to maneuver a large roast onto a cutting board or serving plate. (Once the meat has cooled down enough.) And most of all working with hot chiles. I make a lot of fermented hot sauces. And multiple other uses. Having them on hand with boxes in strategic places like kitchen, food/beverage lab, workshop, bathroom, etc. means they get used often.

I use Gorilla Supply brand vinyl gloves, 100 to a box. They are food safe, powder free, and come in different sizes. I find the XL perfect. I buy them at Home Depot, or keep an eye out for sales on Amazon. Recently I bought a ten-pack of boxes for $32.

2 Likes

Eek! I have often thought of this happening! Poor girl!

1 Like

I do the same thing and also do strategic measuring- all my dry stuff first then anything wet. Oil before any honey- honey slides off the spoons/ cups easy that way.

1 Like

If you are getting soot and smoke your burners need to be cleaned.