"Kid" foods you still like as an adult (sort of guilty pleasure)

I think Marin County, CA is designated an olive loaf free zone!

3 Likes

Cheese & onion Ringos
Orange Capri Sun ( though not the same now they have a screw cap. Stabbing the pouch with the straw and causing it to spurt all over yourself was half the fun).
HP Sauce sandwiches.

1 Like

Just HP Sauce?
Nothing else?

Not even crisps & HP?

My own contribution - butterscotch Angel Delight. Although I was barely still a kid when AD was introduced in 1967.

1 Like

Yes @Harters & @bbqboy just HP. On sliced white bread of course.
I loved butterscotch AD growing up. Haven’t tried it for years.

1 Like

My big confession involves banana AD.

We always seem to have loads in the freezer (yes, I know we should just buy fewer). They usually end up in Mrs H’d banana bread but I was in search of something new. So, a few months back, I bought a ready made tart case, put mashed up bananas in the bottom and topped it with the AD. It was surprisingly OK.

That’s okay,more for me here!

I wasn’t familiar with Angel Delight, so I had to look it up. (I’m a librarian - I can’t help it!) It sounds sort of like the American butterscotch pudding which I used to love. Is it very sweet?

1 Like

I still eat sliced green olive sandwiches in white bread with mayo, but is that kid food? Everyone now eats pimiento cheese sandwiches. I still eat peanut butter and jelly on occasion. I didn’t get served much in the way of frozen or prepared foods, and I’ve given up candy and junk food (Twinkies!), except for leftover reeses cups and snickers bars at Halloween.

1 Like

Anything concerning peanut butter is kid’s food!
:slight_smile:
PS, I’ve never heard of green olive sandwiches + I think pimento sandwiches are very regional. Perhaps things have changed since I’ve been off the sandwich circuit.

Try one!

Pimiento cheese seems to be popping up all over DC and I see it a lot in food magazines/sites. A lot of Southern things (eg, bbq, use of “y’all”) are spreading – and changing. There are now places that cook actual good barbecue in the DC area now!

2 Likes

I’m a continent away from the South, but we do have a fledgling olive industry in Oregon and of course we’re just a hop, skip, and a jump from the California olive groves but I prefer mine stuffed with garlic cloves.
And we are cheese blessed, but no pimento to my knowledge.
As long as you don’t combine peanut butter and pimento cheese I say live and let live.
:slight_smile: :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Cream cheese mixed with chopped pimento-stuffed green olive sandwiches are things of lady’s tea lunches. Often with Boston leaf lettuce, crusts trimmed off and cut into 4 triangles. I had to spend 4 weeks in a rehabilitation center for PT and OT a few years ago. They were always on the menu and I was always happy to see them!

4 Likes

I must confess, I’ve never been to any ladies’ tea lunches.
Was that when you lived here?

I used to go to The Inkwell in Long Branch, NJ for a bagel with cream cheese & olives, after the bars closed. A lady’s tea lunch it was not, and it’s still on the menu.

3 Likes

Ha! That’s almost the only way I like whipped cream!

I can’t believe I’m admitting this, but I prefer Oscar Meyer olive loaf. Probably because that’s what I grew up on. I’m not that keen on Boar’s Head in general, and haven’t had Kretchmer olive loaf.

1 Like

Ate hundreds, maybe thousands of these as a kid.
Bought two cans purely from a nostalgia urge back in 2018, maybe early-2019.
Opened one can. Sampled one sausage. Threw the rest of the can out. Can number 2 is aging in our pantry. Shelf life is, I think, May, 2044. Definitely not a “Kid” food I still like as an adult.

5 Likes

My husband and grandson love those things.I wouldn’t touch them with a ten foot pole now or then. Mechanically separated meat. Otoh I do like fried Spam.once in a blue moon. What can I say. Go figure.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

How about Underwood deviled spreads? What’s in that stuff? I haven’t had any since childhood.

6 Likes