Keurig K-cups

How long should it take for the water to drip through for a single cup? I measured various methods I use and got:

• Melitta cone with re-usable metal filter: 32 seconds (less than a minute)
  • Melitta cone with paper filter: 32 seconds (less than a minute)
  • Ankar two-piece “cone”: 1 minute 40 seconds
  • Bialetti espresso machine (small): 3 minutes, 40 seconds
  • Vietnamese coffee press.filter: 6 minutes, 6 seconds

I tend to use the Ankar as my standard, but the wide variation in times has left me wondering.

I haven’t a clue but our counter top brewer drips hot water into a filter containing 6 level scoops of supermarket grade coffee grounds (approx 6 level Tbsp) and then it gravity drips through the grounds and into the pot with a final yield of 12 cups. Never timed it but per cup its a significantly slower process than the Kurig Machine that used pressure to force the hot water through the cup holding the grounds.

My guess is the longer a given amount of hot water is in contact with the grounds the more flavor will be extracted from the grounds. As a result, the fast pressurized coffee machines require more grounds per cup.

I know for a fact that the fast brewing machines in a 7-11 or Wawa require a lot more coffer grounds per cup than a much slower home brewer.

For about $6 lb, Costco has a really excellent organic, fair trade Cuban Mayorga coffee. Not too dark, choclately notes and full bodied, no bitterness. My other regular coffee, Jim’s organic Ethiopian Sidamo runs more like $16 per lb. I love the Mayorga and the savings. Of course, my local roaster is more like $20 per lb, I believe.

So much depends on how much coffee you use, what grind it is, and how fresh it is, with bloom.

1 Like

Standard coffee scoop (2T), usually espresso grind, sometimes regular grind. It is already ground, and I go through a brick or can in about a month.

You use one standard scoop per cup? No more? There’s room for more, right?

I drink, typically, from a 16 oz mug, so that’s three really rounded scoops, for comparison. Medium to fine grind.

The Canadian two-piece is pretty much a one-scoop contraption, as is the Bialetti and the smallest Vietnamese filter. I suppose I could put more in the cone and the larger Vietnamese filter.

But the ones limited to one scoop also limit the amount of water to about 6 ounces as well, so I’m not trying to make a pint of coffee from a single scoop. (I am reminded of my father, who used to make three or four cups of tea from a single tea bag. Child of the Depression…)

Home (l-r): Malhkönig K30 Vario grinder; Baratza Vario grinder; Elektra “Sixties” T1 espresso machine.

Office (l-r): Ala di Vittoria “La Valentina” espresso machine; La Cimbali MaxHybrid grinder.

No need for K-cups . . . . :wink: