Keswick, Cumbria

Got a few (midweek) days in Keswick looming in the calendar. Any decent food options in the town, or within a 20-30 minute drive ?
All cuisines considered.
Super high end may not be the best choice as this is a ‘lads walking’ kind of trip. I’ve always found this neck of the woods to be high on mediocre pubs and restaurants with star pretensions but woefully lacking in delivery ( take a bow, 1863 in Pooley bridge ) - so bring out your hidden gems, please.
Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Bryson’s of Keswick is a very decent caff on the pedestrianised Main Street. Butties and the like. We had coffee and slice of cake.

We had lunch at the caff attached to the “Theatre by the Lake”. Again decent enough for lunch.

30 minutes drive gets you to the delights of Ambleside which will deffo get you mediocre pubs and restaurants with star pretensions with woefully poor service (and one such which actually has a star - Old Stamp House, I’m staring at you with disappointment

1 Like

Just back tracked on your old posts. Worth trying to get into Lake Road Kitchen ?
Its bizarre that there seems, at least in our collective experience, to be a lack of pubs doing good food up there…

Lake Road Kitchen is brill. Entirely star worthy, IMO (which with my track record on that means eff all). But I wouldnt really put multi course tasting menus to be a "lads walking " sort of gaff, which is why I didnt mention it. But, if it fits the group, then absolutely go for it.

1 Like

I know, that is Dilemma Part 2 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love that phrase and concept. I need to plagiarize that.