Kahlua Cake

This is one of those recipes that uses a cake mix - I’m guessing it could easily be made, with adjustments, with a from-scratch chocolate cake recipe.

Oven: 350 degrees
Well-oiled bundt pan OR loaf pans OR muffin tins

1 package Devil’s Food Cake Mix with Pudding in the Mix
2 eggs
1 16-ounce carton sour cream
¼ c vegetable oil
½ c Kahlua
1 12-ounce package semi-sweet chocolate chips

Mix all ingredients until well combined. Pour into well-oiled pans. Bake for 30 to 50 minutes, depending on size of pan(s). (Insert toothpick to check doneness – cake will be moist.)

Remove pans from oven, let cool for 10 to 20 minutes then remove cake(s) to cooling racks to completely cool. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 12 hours.

Devour.

Notes: If you REALLY want to go overboard, poke holes in top of cake while still warm and drizzle with more Kahlua. Or melt more chocolate chips with a bit of Kahlua and “frost” or glaze cake when cool.

Additional notes: A high school friend shared this recipe with me, back before we were driving. Yes, our parents allowed us to make this cake - apparently it never occurred to them at that teenage girls might want to “taste” (more like “take multiple swigs from the bottle”) the Kahlua. This still amuses me.

2 Likes

I’ve made this or something similar. It was really good!!

1 Like

I like coffee and chocolate dessert, wonder if I can find Kahlua here. Is this cake originated from Mexican?

1 Like

Is this cake served cold? What is the purpose of wrapping it tightly and chilling for 12 hours – does it fall apart if not chilled? Thinking of making this for Superbowl…

1 Like

This is my most requested cake, I’ve been making it since the 1970s. And so simple! I’ll put my version here, not totally different from yours though.

BLACK RUSSIAN BUNDT CAKE
1 box chocolate or yellow “moist” cake mix
1 package instant chocolate pudding
4 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup oil
1/2 cup vodka
1/2 cup Kahlua
1/2 cup water
4 oz Nestle mini morsels
a dab of instant espresso

Glaze:
1/4 cup Kahlua
1 cup confectioner sugar
1/4 stick melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Grease bundt pan.
Combine all cake ingredients and beat for four minutes.
Bake 55 miutes and cool on rack.
Make glaze, poke holes in cake and pour slowly over.
Can dust with confectioner sugar if desires.

3 Likes

It’s good at room temperature, but the wrapping and chilling keeps it extra moist and seems to allow the Kahlua flavor to really develop.

I have found a couple of recipes on line for homemade Kahlua - some use instant coffee crystals and others use brewed coffee. Maybe someone here has made it and can provide pointers?

2 Likes

I’m salivating reading the ingredient list, @coll! This looks decadent!

It is, and yet so simple! A good thing to make last minute if you need to.

1 Like

I made homemade Kahlua once and it was actually kind of fancy. But it didn’t call for corn syrup and sad to say, that is what makes Kahlua, Kahlua. Fail.

1 Like

Oh - that looks good too!!!