Kagoshima- Kurabuta Pork, Satsuma Chicken, Traditional Cuisine +++

A quick overnight trip to Kagoshima. My DW, Mrs. MoneysWorth had procured 7 day JR (Japan Railway) passes, so we MUST crisscross this prefecture and get our ¥$ worth!!

Disembarked the Shinkansen at Kagoshima Station a little early for hotel check in. Not too early to explore and grab a bite. Tons of options available at every turn.

Passed this attractive shop. Turns out Kagoshima Komurasaki has been dishing out Ramen since 1950. Proprietress was welcoming and friendly. Ordered Ramen for me and Pork rice for she, helped ourselves to some ice water, and watched our bowls come together.

A restaurant manager in a previous life, I’ve spent countless hours watching kitchen professionals go about their craft. These dudes were Ramen Masters, not a wasted motion or a missed millisecond!!

A rather huge jar of fresh minced garlic was placed in advance. Also extra appropriately sized bowls so that we may share, classy. My steaming bowl had Roasted Kurobuta Pork and thin perfectly Al Dente Noodles. Shiitake and a heaping helping of parboiled Shredded Cabbage well complements the umami of the rich pork broth.

DW’s Soy Sauce Seasoned Sliced Kurobuta Pork on Rice was fabulous. I could have scarfed a few more bowls myself. At ¥350/$2.35 per bowl, unbelievable value.

A good start to this trip. Had just enough room for the famous Kagoshima Shaved Ice. Next!!!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qjUV3KXRXFtssv9T8?g_st=ic

9 Likes

Our single dinner in Kagoshima. Founded in 1966, Kumasotei serves traditional Satsuma cooking and cuisine. Both tatami and regular table seating options available. :+1:

We chose two different dinner sets, to better explore the local cuisine.

Tasty starters set the tone and direction.

Kibinago no Sashimi. Shiny Blue Sprat, fresh caught near Kagoshima. Housemade Vinegar Miso. Mild with a snap, beautiful aesthetics.

Tsukkyage (Fish Cakes). Cod, Flying Fish, Surimi with wasabi.

Not for the faint of heart: Satsuma Chicken Sashimi. Local chicken, firm flesh with a crunchy texture. Quite normal fare, we’ve even seen packaged in just about every supermarket here.

Tonkotsu. Berkshire Kurobuta bone-in Pork, slow simmered. Finished in brown sugar, shochu, miso and sugar. So tender with fatty goodness, easily cut with chopsticks.

Sliced charcuterie-like Smoked Kurobuta Ham. Didn’t really add much to the party.

Shabu Shabu, star of the evening. Slices of Kurobuta Pork, Enoki Mushrooms, Tofu and Vegetables. Hotpot, always a good time.

Shabu Shabu (swish swish) three seconds. Done.

NareZushi. Sake infused sushi rice fermented overnight. Bits of Seafood and Shiitake makes for an even more tasty dish.

A fun, enjoyable and tasty meal and experience. Kagoshima turned out to be a super food destination. Regret booking only one night here, we’ll just have to come back and explore further.

https://www.kumasotei.com/english/welcome_to_kagoshima

7 Likes

I love this to bits!

1 Like

Watching someone make noodles is to caffeine what kryptonite is to Superman.

Even more so when it’s the hand-pulled kind.

2 Likes

Spent most of May exploring Kyushu, and did return to Kagoshima after leaving Ibusuki! Thanks for your beautiful pictures and descriptions.

2 Likes