Juneteenth Celebratory Foods

I can remember going to a few Juneteenth festivities many years ago; are there new ideas out there for celebratory food items? Suggestions please!

3 Likes

What a fascinating holiday. I’d not previously heard of it.

The Wikipedia page says that barbeque, soul food and other food with African American influences are important for the day. Whilst I understand what American barbeque is, I’ve no real idea about soul food or other food influenced by black people.

2 Likes

Some ideas look new in this article by ToniTipton-Martin , but many are traditional.

7 Likes

This one is more traditional.

7 Likes

This was in Wednesday’s NY Times. I gifted the link so I hope it will work.

8 Likes

I saw on the WBUR/NPR show website for ’ Here and Now’ today a potato salad by Nicole A. Taylor. Her cookbook “Watermelon and Red Birds: A Cookbook for Juneteenth and Black Celebrations” came out last year. The potato salad has fennel in it, which I find very interesting. Gonna have to have a few peeks.

3 Likes

Here’s a recipe collection from the NYT. If anyone is interested in specific recipes I’d be happy to gift them :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This caught my eye previously https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018797-strawberry-slab-pie

3 Likes

Speaking of Potato Salad, I just tried a new recipe yesterday with carrots and corn included. All plates licked clean. Happy to share if your interested. (the recipe, not the salad, none left… :wink:)

5 Likes

I’d love to see it. Big potato salad fan here. Thanks!

Did you know about slavery in America?

Of course he has. The term is not heard outside the United States very often.

I live at the Canadian side of the Underground Railroad, and I learned about slavery in grade school. I don’t have a lot of knowledge, but it was a topic in our Canadian history classes.

I had not heard of Juneteenth until 2 years ago.
I live 2 hours from Detroit. It is not a term than is used often or a holiday that is celebrated much in Canada, despite Canada having a Black population since the days of the Underground Railroad.

Please cut non-Americans some slack on American holiday knowledge.

2 Likes

Here it is; Regarding the use of seasoning, I did not get the precise measurements, so instead I added small amounts at a time and tasted the dish before deciding if more was necessary.

20 small - medium potatoes

1 can of corn

1 carrot (grated)

6 sour pickles in brine (chopped)

The first step is to boil the potatoes in salted water for roughly 20 minutes, ensuring that they are soft enough by poking them with a knife. Once the potatoes are cooked, they should be allowed to cool under cold running water and then either peeled by hand or using a knife.

Chop in to cubes and add the following:

Mayonaise (approx 2 cups)

White Vinegar (approx 1/4 cup)

Salt

Sugar

Garlic Powder

White Pepper

Then extract the juice from an onion and add. ( I used a grater)

Mix well and enjoy!

4 Likes

Thanks!

I am curious about how enslaved Africans transitioned in other countries and “territories”. I’ve only heard some of the details in the last few years, some during my trip to the UK and Netherlands last fall.

To be fair, folks in the US don’t get taught “enough” (my opinion) about it in school either, at least not in elementary, middle and high school.

Right now there are a great number of headlines here about what books schools in some states can teach from.

That probably crosses the line into politics.

6 Likes

There’s some risk in picking foods for certain celebrations. Every few years some business, school, or other organization gets criticized for insensitivity because of menu choices. Ikea was the most recent I recall having problems with that. It may be more of a matter of combinations of foods than individual menu choices.

2 Likes

It probably does. There are 2 longtime communities in Canada that I know of. In southwestern Ontario, near where I live, and in Nova Scotia. I will direct message some info about the communities. In Quebec, there are communities from the West Indies, and parts of the Francophonie (French-speaking countries) such as Haiti and some African countries, that have a French Colonial past.

2 Likes

My friend posted this today https://www.foodandwine.com/how-red-drink-became-the-official-beverage-of-juneteenth-7547540

2 Likes

I hadn’t known about the strawberry soda. Now I understand why they had it at my company’s Juneteenth celebration last week.

2 Likes