June 2021, Openings and Closings (Boston & New England)

“sheep meat flat earth column”?

1 Like

Wherever this is, someone please order this so we can figure out what the heck it is (I get the roasted duck part). The other components or flavorings, I’m completely at a loss. I tried to read the Chinese (scribbly script characters are not my strength), but for what I can make out that isn’t nonsense, it’s so generic that it doesn’t describe much.

ching-ching

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I don’t actually know when this opened, but there is a Grand Opening sign at Silk Road Uyghur Cuisine on 1398 Beacon St, near Coolidge Corner. I’m guessing this is related to the East Cambridge restaurant with the same name. Haven’t eaten at either, but the menu looks interesting, lots of lamb and noodles.

5 Likes

I drove by Fuloon in Beverly the other week and they are closed. It’s sad to see such an iconic restaurant closed. However, after their move to Beverly, the quality went downhill very quickly. On my last visit I asked that the food be cooked as it was in Malden, but still received very insipid food.

5 Likes

That is indeed sad. The proprietor’s name is escaping me - Doris? I was once the lucky guest at an epic Chowdown at the original Malden location with many esteemed Chowhounders in attendance (Limster, Sam Lipoff, yumyum, @beetlebug, and others). One of the most memorable meals I’ve ever experienced.

4 Likes

that is a murderer’s row of Chowhound posters, haha

4 Likes

I guess I never did one of these posts for July, so I’m using this to celebrate the GREAT news I saw on Eater Boston that Bianchi’s has returned to Revere! Apparently in their new spot they have the ovens from the old place and use the same family recipe that they used to. I can’t wait to try this and see if it’s the same, this was one of my favorite pizza places around in the old location.

4 Likes

Soup Shack appears to have opened in Porter Square. It’s a store front near Henry Bear’s Park and Cambridge Naturals. They’re going for the pan-Asian noodle genre with pad thai, pho, and ramen. I don’t usually have high hopes, but who knows- maybe it will be delicious? Anyone?

3 Likes

Toraya re-opening update: Toraya re-opening plans a work in progress due to pandemic.

TL;DR: Every step in the process, from acquiring materials and equipment to permitting, has been slowed by the pandemic. I’m sad about the wait but it’s all consistent with how the industry has been impacted in the last year and a half. At least Maruichi’s sushi makes for a decent stop-gap (and is a great store in its own right).

5 Likes