July 2022 Openings and Closings [Boston, New England]

What’s going on?

2 Likes

Per the Boston Globe, Tiffani Faison’s Italian throwback restuarant Orfano closed this past Thursday. It never appealed to me all that much but I’m still pretty sad I never made it to Tiger Mama.

1 Like

The Globe also had this today (or maybe yesterday):

Coming soon: L’Espalier legend Frank McClelland will open a Somerville outpost of his Beverly market-restaurant, Frank , at Assembly Row (355 Artisan Way) in the coming months. McClelland says that the new restaurant will be 160 seats, with a large marketplace.

“Same mission, support local sustainable agriculture, serving well-crafted dishes with these products to our guests, with Frank being everything New England, healthy, fun,” he promises.

4 Likes

Loved Tiger Mama on my 2 whole visits (hope my irony comes through).

1 Like

Of course, the thing with irony is that that you want it to just come through, as a whiff (as from a particularly nice piece of liver, or some nice oysters, or some spinach), not hit you over the head as with a tire-iron. Yours struck the right balance. I’m neither dead or even reeling (sorry!) nor oblivious.

3 Likes

Much to my surprise, Dagu Rice Noodle has opened in Quincy. The spot was undergoing renovations before the pandemic. After 2+ yrs and nary a sign of life (all windows were papered up the entire time), I thought the owners abandoned it.

It’s a “well known” Chinese rice noodle chain, offering what looks like a focus on Chinese noodle dishes from the Western/Southwestern regions, like crossing the bridge noodles and pickled cabbage fish noodles. Was busy today when I passed by at lunch. At the corner of Beale & Hancock Sts.

4 Likes

A new restaurant Howard Blackburn Restaurant & Pub has opened in the former Halibut Point location at 289 Main Street in Gloucester. theHowardBlackburn.com Such a beautiful day yesterday took a drive up to sit on Niles Beach around 6 pm. Dinner out wasn’t imperative but when we drove by 289 Main Street and saw the lights on, the chef cooking in the window well, we drove around the block to see if the patio was open. It was and the interior of the space is the same. Long bar, tables along the left wall and more in the quieter backroom. went with after beach favorites: Italian fish chowder : tomato, richly flavored, lots of fish; House ground steak burger with fresh greens salad; Local catch sandwich - hake, pan roasted not fried with tartar & farmer’s slaw, chips and a pickle. As before many draughts available. Price points up as expected, worth it.

4 Likes

@sciaccagirl Thank you for the report. Looks like a place right up our alley. I don’t know how accurate the website is, but I appreciate a short, concise menu. We went to / considered a couple of places this weekend with menus that were loaded with an overwhelming number of items.

The online menu is roughly 90% of the menu. The printed menu had two crudos that were I eating with someone who enjoyed crudo I would have ordered. Also, a grilled Berkshire pork chop. Small cooking area keeps offerings to what chef can execute. Also, sandwiches are available all day.

1 Like

DP saigon subs is opening in the old santoro’s location on main street in malden

4 Likes

Just saw a message on Instagram from Massimo that the Landing Pizzeria in Newton is closing - we liked his pizza quite a lot when we lived close-by -also good sandwiches and desserts

That’s too bad. One of the best pizzas around. Quite underrated.

1 Like