July 2019 Opening and Closings [Boston and New England]

Not really a closing but The Loading Dock in Belmont is now closed Mon-Thurs.

So basically a weekends-only business? Seems weird.

Thatā€™s too bad. I had a few enjoyable lunches there.

Pho House in Mass. Ave. in Cambridge is closed for renovations. This time it appears there really is renovation happening and that they will actually reopen at some point.

1 Like

apsara angkor on western ave in lynn has closed

According to the Globe, Babbo Seaport will close in mid-September. Iā€™ve always had mixed feelings towards their pizza (too much tip droop). But they introduced me to an under appreciated Italian wine, pelaverga, which pairs beautifully with mushroom dishes/pizza.

2 Likes

Their pizza was classical Neapolitan style and should have tip droop.
Service was always average at best at Babbo but the food was quite good for reasonable prices.
Bad months with KTT and Babbo closing.

3 Likes

honkman, so you liked Kirkland T&T?

I liked the pizza at Babbo, but the service was terrible on both of my trips there. I think people were avoiding due to Bataliā€™s troubles, I know we were.

1 Like

Qdoba in Harvard Square has closed. File this one under not a loss. Also there is the possibility something worthwhile may replace Qdoba.

2 Likes

Babbo was great until a year or two ago. They offered consistently great food at very reasonable prices. A year or so ago they significantly streamlined their menu, eliminating or reducing many of the small plates (fish and vegetables) that we always ordered there. I too found some new things through their wine and beer lists.

I am with Digga on the pizza, but honkman is correct just I donā€™t prefer the AVPN type Neopolitan pizza. Donā€™t get me wrong though, just about any pizza is good pizza.

4 Likes

Or the greater probability that it will be a cell phone store or a bank.

1 Like

Generally not the trend were looking for, but Iā€™d eat at a cell phone store as much as I eat at Qdoba. One can always hope for something better. It has not been confirmed what will happen with the space.

1 Like

I also know Neapolitan style is typically soggy in the middle (Iā€™m a student of the Serious Eats pizza compendium but have never been to Italy) but like Jon Stewart, I just canā€™t abide by eating pizza with a fork and knife, no matter what style the pizza or politics.
http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ef43uv/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-forkgate-2-0

Neapolitan style pizza in Naples, Italy is not ā€œsoggy in the middle.ā€ It is soft enough to fold over and eat like a book (a libretto). But thatā€™s not soggy.

You are correct. Pizza in Naples is not soggy in the middle and I did see many people eating pizza with a knife and a fork. Not a sin.
Enjoy,
CocoDan

Sounds like I need to get me to Naples pronto! :yum::pizza:

3 Likes

Weā€™ve been twice. The pizza is great, and in the fall they have a special form of broccoli rabe or rapini called friarielli. The Neapolitans believe that their friarielli are unique. I can attest that they are good.

1 Like

I think itā€™s been well-reported elsewhere, but in case you missed this, Chinatown mainstay Dong Khanh (now New Dong Khanh) will be closing after this weekend - making this technically an August close I guess. I remember they were my first taste of pho and many great Vietnamese dishes (especially Bun Bo Hue) when they were the only Vietnamese place in Chinatown. Now you can find pho places easily in most communities with a heavy Asian population. I havenā€™t visited them as much in the last few years, just because of so much competition, and many good places closer to home for me. Hope they move on to better things.

We had our first dinner there a few weeks ago and liked it a lot as a ā€œcasualā€ during the week place - good to excellent food with average to good service. We had actually already book our next visit bu coincidence at their last day of service (but cancelled it as we have bad experiences with such dates before)

1 Like