JiTB Tacos

The iconic taco makes the WSJ.
:wink:

1 Like

I’ve actually never been to a JITB. I’d like to try it one day. We don’t have del taco here either

I have to admit I like JITB tacos. Supposedly the corn tortillas are stuffed with meat, deep fried first, Then filled with lettuce and cheese. But the edges are pinched/sealed together so I don’t know how they do that without putting the lettuce and cheese in there to begin with.

Surprising to hear it’s the #1 item on the menu though. Who would have thought.

Regardless, they are a tasty treat.

1 Like

I meant to reply in general to the original post.

1 Like

You’re safe around here.
:slight_smile:

I grew up with deep fried tacos :taco: in KC. Ours also had peas in the mix.
The Jack tacos were 2/$1.00 forever but they’ve gone up a few cents recently…
Miss Belle is spot on; they deep fry and then throw the lettuce and cheese on. One of those things like a White Castle that just can’t be duplicated successfully.
And also, since most jacks are 24 hours, best enjoyed between 12:00 am and 6:00 am.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wish we had some around here and some del taco. Maybe they will make it to NJ soon. The good news is we have some great authentic Mexican tacos here, so I can’t complain. There is a heavy Mexican population here in nj. My friend is from Sonora and she says the food here is as good, or better, than her town. Some of our favorite places locally have no one that even speaks English. I let her order to save me the struggle with my limited Spanish :slight_smile:

1 Like

They are definitely NOT Mexican or authentic or anything, except maybe SoCal. That’s the beauty of them.

2 Likes

I was just watching this on TV and it reminded me of JITB tacos. Think I’ll have to give it a whirl soon. Fried tacos. Yum.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I would love to know why, especially compared to SF offerings, but it seems to be behind a pay wall. Anyone care to summarize?

I tried Jimboy tacos while waiting for son to finish soccer practice yearscago, but I such prefer the local lingua, al pastor, and especially carnitas tacos.

1 Like

https://www.jackinthebox.com/food/taco-and-sides/loaded-tiny-tacos

How about these new items? (I saw a sign for them on a local JiTB.) Loaded Tiny Tacos, with the emphasis on loaded, I assume…

1 Like

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/kcs-signature-parmesan-topped-crispy-tacos-part-of-local-family-legacies

Don’t forget In-A-Tub tacos in North Kansas City, where deep-fried tacos are covered with powdered cheese. They don’t stay open late like JiTB though.

1 Like

I was a Kansas boy so never hit In A Tub till I was an adult. La Cocina was our go-to. Kansas seemed to be more Kraft cheddar oriented than Parmesan.

I followed this recipe to a T. The meat mixture was more of a deep rich chili and I will never use that taco seasoning mix in a packet again. They had a little chew and plenty of crisp and didn’t fall apart when filled. Thought they might be too greasy after shallow frying, but turned them upside down on paper towels and no problem. These were really good and not all that labor intensive… Two thumbs up for Tacos Dorados.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes